SRed

USMT : Want to migrate My Documents, Certain file types, but no settings

Question

Hey all,

I'm trying to understand which USMT files are responsible for migrating which user elements. We're moving from Windows XP to 7...this week. I've been doing a lot of testing and found that most of the Default USMT settings (Following your awesome guide, anyweb, on using USMT from SCCM) are great in our environment. However, the default settings also attempt to migrate Office plugins and this and that setting from our XP machines which aren't appropriate for our Win7 environment.

I've gone back into SCCM and specified to "Customize how user profiles are captured" and picked my MigDocs.xml and MigUser.xml. Since I'm not using MigApp.xml, am I correct in assuming that no application settings will be migrated?

Before you say that it is bad practice to use both MigDoc and MigUser, we have a list of extensions specified in MigDocs that the user may have scattered over their PC, and use this xml file to ensure the files get copied over.

Thanks guys!

1 answer to this question