wdspuzzled

\Boot\BCD

Question

Hi Everyone

Our company has moved from Novell Zenworks to Microsoft and we have to find a way of imaging PCs.

I have setup WDS on server 2003 SP2.

Using F12 PXE boot and eventually downloading a boot image - default set to pxeboot.com on the server.

It seems to be downloading via TFTP but I just can't get it to work!

Windows Boot Manager keeps throwing up a screen on the client PC

At first it was:

File: \Boot\BCD

An Error occurred while attempting to read the Boot Configuration Data.

I went though some Technet articles (lost of syntax errors and typos BTW) created a BCD file using bcdedit and copied it to the RemoteInstall\Boot folder on the server.

Now I get:

File: \Boot\BDC

The windows Boot Configuration Data File is missing required information

So it seems like it is now downloading a BDC file but I have no idea what information is missing.

All I can think of is when I do a bcdedit /enum all on the Data Store I created I only get 1 line under

Windows Boot Loader

identifier and the GUID even though I went through all the instructions regarding setting device and osdevice

Anyone help??

4 answers to this question

have you tried removing anything between the server and client, ie direct connection to rule out SWITCH or routing issues ?

if that doesnt help have you checked your logs and event viewer for clues ?

cheers

anyweb

Hi

Thanks for the assistance.

I've made a new BCD file and copied it to the RemoteInstall\boot folder on the server.

I can now F12

I have put the image file winpe_x86.wim in the RemoteInstall\boot folder and I get the command prompt wpeinit so I can map to the server and imagex if I want.

Rather than messing up the BCD file for now I have renamed RemoteInstall\Boot\LiteTouchPE_x86.wim to winpe_x86.wim temporarily and it is running the LiteTouch and installing the apps.

Don't think it is the right way to go but it seems to work for learning.

I will have to try and set up a menu of sorts I'm sure there will be a way - if I haven't torn all my hair out by then!!!!

G.

ah good to hear it,

you can get a lot of WDS info including how to capture and how to deploy images right here in the WDS section

if you want semi interactive menus during the wds deployment then lite touch (LTi) is the way to go and you'll need to install MDT for that, if you think it's confusing now just wait till you try SCCM 2007,

cheers

anyweb

Hi Anyweb

Forgot to say great site and help - by the way this has been one of my main resources - great walkthroughs!

Think I have got MDT 2008 - got the Microsoft Deployment Workbench Version 4.1

I think there is something wrong with our WDS installation it's been updated from RIS.

The PXE boot has been working on a HP laptop for a few day and as I added Boot Images they did appear as a menu Item at boot but it only worked on that laptop not on any other hardware all other PCs got \Boot\BCD errors.

My understanding is that when you add a boot image in WDS the BCD should be updated but I don't think that is happening.

But this is all a big shock coming from Zenworks. If I had grown with it I might be a bit more comfortable but especially with all the different versions and updates I don't really know what goes with what.

Going to be a long steep curve I think!

G.