djcampbell

HP Proliant Deployment Task Sequence and RebootStep Variable

Question

Niall,

it looks like you've had some experience with SCCM and server deployments. I'm having an issue provisioning some HP blades using the HP Baremetal Task Sequence that comes with the HP OSD Deploy Pack. The issue is with the RebootStep Variable required to boot the server back into pxe. From the smsts.log the value of RebootStep can't be determined because the specified account defined in the task sequence can not connect to wmi on my site server. Have you experienced this before? The server build just goes into a loop repeating the same steps in the task.

After further review of the smsts.log file. The first two phases of the task sequence execute without issue and i can see where the connection account is able to connect to wmi on my site server. For some reason, the connection fails during the third phase. It appears to fail between the Apply Driver Package step and the Apply Network Settings step.

The task sequence will run to completion when it is a non-mandatory advertisement but fails in the third phase of a mandatory ad. I need the mandatory ad to work so I don't have to hit f12 throughout the sequence.

Doug Campbell

10 answers to this question

hi Doug

can you please post a screenshot or two of the steps in your task sequence that you are referring to, plus post the smsts.log file as an attachment

Niall,

Here is a screenshot of the task sequence. I'll grab a copy of the smsts.log file and upload it shortly.

It looks like the task sequences provided by HP, Dell, and IBM are very similar and I found some information on Dell's site related to troubleshooting issues with variables. They provide a sample script for troubleshooting. Here is a link that discusses the issue.

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/os-applications/w/wiki/2554.aspx

Doug

it says this in the log

" ConnectToProvider: Couldn't connect to the mgmt point (Siteserver.domain.COM): The RPC server is unavailable. "

" ### DESCRIPTION: ERROR : Could not connect to WMI on the Management point after 3 attempts "

have you set a user/pass in the hp wizard ? have you followed all the advice given in that pdf ?

Hey guys. I'm having an issue at the same step however I don't think my problem is connecting to WMI on the MP. I noticed the following line in the smsts.log file. Should I start a new thread, don't want to hijack another thread but it seems to fall under the thread heading?

"HPProLiantRebootScript: ERROR: ExecQuery(SMS_R_System WHERE SMSUniqueIdentifier = 'GUID:FE4D6ED7-0E89-41AC-A9E2-79491C5A2FAD') returned no results InstallSoftware 9/11/2012 3:01:20 PM 1988 (0x07C4)"

"Process completed with exit code 1 InstallSoftware 9/11/2012 3:01:25 PM 1988 (0x07C4)"

When I first entered the Server in I entered only the name and the MAC of the server, I sould have entered the SMBIOS GUID as well however I didn't. I tried deleting the entry and re-entering the MAC with the SMBIOS Guid which I can see in the console now however still left with this issue. the Step completed with exit code 1, the Connect to provider line above it completed succesfuly. A few lines down it reports the failure of the step in the TS.

"Failed to run the action: Set RebootStep Variable. Incorrect function. (Error: 00000001; Source: Windows) TSManager 9/11/2012 3:01:25 PM 1904 (0x0770)"

Any ideas, I'm betting I've missed something really easy.

also on a side note IE10 doesn't seem pass the enter key stroke on this forum, using chrome now - anyone else with this issue?

edit..

Couple of lines down this happens.

"TSManager 9/11/2012 3:01:25 PM 1904 (0x0770) Set a global environment variable _SMSTSLastActionRetCode=1"

"TSManager 9/11/2012 3:01:25 PM 1904 (0x0770) Set a global environment variable _SMSTSLastActionSucceeded=false TSManager 9/11/2012 3:01:25 PM 1904 (0x0770)"

So it looks at the job failing and drops dead, I'm thinking this points back to the GUID query returning no results.

Hey guys looks like I found a solution.

http://scif.codeplex.com/workitem/4156

Basically there is a problem in ConfigMgr in that it formats the GUID in the _SMSTSClientGUID variable differently if it was an unknown machine. I changed the VBScript to look at the _SMSTSClientIdentity field.

The reboot script is in the "HP Proliant Reboot Script" package just edit that and update the DP once done.

---- Edit ----

Might be a bit more too it as that still didn't work. I ran a SQL query and it looks like the "SMSUniqueIdentifier" Column is not valid. "SMS_Unique_Identifier0" is valid testing now so hopefully that works.

This is for Config Manager 2012 as well.

Niall,

it looks like you've had some experience with SCCM and server deployments. I'm having an issue provisioning some HP blades using the HP Baremetal Task Sequence that comes with the HP OSD Deploy Pack. The issue is with the RebootStep Variable required to boot the server back into pxe. From the smsts.log the value of RebootStep can't be determined because the specified account defined in the task sequence can not connect to wmi on my site server. Have you experienced this before? The server build just goes into a loop repeating the same steps in the task.

After further review of the smsts.log file. The first two phases of the task sequence execute without issue and i can see where the connection account is able to connect to wmi on my site server. For some reason, the connection fails during the third phase. It appears to fail between the Apply Driver Package step and the Apply Network Settings step.

The task sequence will run to completion when it is a non-mandatory advertisement but fails in the third phase of a mandatory ad. I need the mandatory ad to work so I don't have to hit f12 throughout the sequence.

Doug Campbell

Niall,

Doug Campbell

Resolved: System error 2148073478.

Issue 1:

System error 2148073478. Trying to map network share from Windows server 2008 or winpe or windows 8.

I was getting similar error when I was using Task sequence for Windows 2008 OS deployment.

Solution:

Add the following registry key to the client having system error 2148073478 resolved the issue. This will disable "Secure Negotiate" on the client.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters]

"RequireSecureNegotiate"=dword:00000000

Issue 2:

In case you are using SCCM 2012 task sequence and using HP Set RebootStep Variable in a OS build task sequence, you may receive an error Incorrect Function Error:00000001 or you get the following error in the status message details error log:

The task sequence execution engine failed executing the action (Set RebootStep Variable) in the group (Pre-requisite Tasks) with the error code 2147942561

Action output: ... framework\core\ccmcore\path.cpp,104)

RecursiveCreatePath(sPath.substr(0, nPos), psa), HRESULT=800700a1 (e:\nts_sccm_release\sms\framework\core\ccmcore\path.cpp,104)

RecursiveCreatePath( sNormalizedPath, psa ), HRESULT=800700a1 (e:\nts_sccm_release\sms\framework\core\ccmcore\path.cpp,159)

DownloadContentLocally(pszSource, sSourceDirectory, dwFlags, hUserToken, pszUserName, pszUserPassword), HRESULT=800700a1 (e:\nts_sccm_release\sms\framework\tscore\resolvesource.cpp,3331)

TS::Utility::ResolveSource(pszPkgID, sPath, 0, hUserToken, sUserName.empty() ? NULL : sUserName.c_str(), sUserName.empty() ? NULL : sUserPassword.c_str()), HRESULT=800700a1 (e:\nts_sccm_release\sms\client\osdeployment\installsoftware\runcommandline.cpp,395)

cmd.Execute(pszPkgID,sProgramName, dwCmdLineExitCode), HRESULT=800700a1 (e:\nts_sccm_release\sms\client\osdeployment\installsoftware\main.cpp,372)

Failed to resolve the source for SMS PKGID=TES0000C, hr=0x800700a1

Install Software failed to run command line, hr=0x800700a1. The operating system reported error 2147942561: The specified path is invalid.

Solution:

Add the following registry key to the client having system error 2148073478 resolved the issue. This will disable "Secure Negotiate" on the client.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters]

"RequireSecureNegotiate"=dword:00000000