anyweb

using System Center 2012 Configuration Manager - Part 3. Configuring Discovery and Boundaries

When running multiple primary servers do you need to enable the different discovery methods on all primary servers? Also, do I have to assign my default-first-Site-Name to a boundary group? I have created multiple boundaries to cover different IP ranges and boundary groups to accommodate the boundaries but have not done anything with the actual default AD site. Is that a problem? I'm having issues installing the CM client using windows update and wondered if that was the problem? Thanks.

Is it a reason you do the acrive Directory user/Device discovery at the primary and not on the CAS server?
I've got a CAS server en 2 primary servers today. Will end up With minimum 6 primary servers.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Øyvind Skjellin

you do the discovery where you have your management points and that is at the primary, the CAS doesn't have a management point or clients connected to it directly so theres nothing to discover there

If I am able to set my IP range in the boundary correctly, and yet in the client I cannot manually select the Site Code, what might else be the issue? The errors I am getting are: "Failed to update site assignment" and "Configuration Manage did not find a site to manage the client."

Hi, we're having huge problems at the moment with running 2007 and 2012 side by side. Due to how we have our network setup (and I'm sure we're not alone), we cannot specify IP boundaries. Instead we are using AD boundaries but both 2007 and 2012 are in the same domain. When we push the client out we have no problems at all because you can explicitly tell the client to be assigned to the 2012 site code. If you install the client via a task sequence though, you cannot specify a site code because as soon as you type SMSSITECODE an exclamation mark appears in the box of the Setup Windows and ConfigMgr step.

We can see in the LocationServices.log that the client is offered the 2007 MP but the client declines it and accepts the 2012 MP, but it doesn't fully as it then keeps saying "Adapter is DHCP enabled. Checking quarantine status" for each network adapter. Do you have any ideas why?

Thanks

Hi, I have a question regarding user defined Device Collections and AD System Discovery. When adding a new PC to the domain, is there a way for SCCM to automatically add that PC to the user defined device collection group based on the active directory object location? For example, if the accounting department hired a new person and that pc is named 'xyz' and I have a defined device collection with only accounting pcs, can xyz be added to the collection without user interaction?

Hey all.

I've got an SCCM 2007 site currently in production. And I want to start doing some testing with a smaller subset of our computers here. I've setup LDAP queries in "System Discovery" to only find about 80 computers. However I don't think I can send the agent to the computers with out a boundary and boundary group to associate with the distribution point? Correct? When configuring the boundary I'm not able to create a boundary that only includes a small subset of our computer population. I could set it to be the entire domain, but I'm concerned I might somehow affect the rest of the SCCM 2007 systems?

So, my question is . . . if I configure the boundary to be the entire domain of thousands of computers, but only have discovered about 80, am I taking a chance of upgrading the entire domain?

Thanks.

Brad

I have been spending a large amount of my spare time studying and working with the lab instructions so thank you this stuff is extremely informational. I am also doing it because we just implemented SCCM 2012 at my business. We have a production primary server and a development primary server for testing with. My concern is that in the active directory system discovery method in production is pointed at our entire "domain.com" while the development active directory system discovery is pointed at just an OU within "domain.com." Because the production server points at the entire domain any of the devices we add to development show up in production as well. Can this be problematic with deployments and reporting or just in general?