zyy

Completely new Installation

Hey Guys,

first of all I have to say that I'm completely new to SCCM and at the moment I'm planning to install it. We need it in our company to deploy anti-malware software, so the main point why we want to use it is the "Endpoint Protection Role". The clients where it should be deployed to aren't in an AD, they're just connected via VPN to our company-network because they are spread in the whole country..

What's my point? I think I need some help. I read along this forum to get some knowledge but still feels like a noob.

We have up to 400 clients to whom it should be deployed to, so I think a Primary-Site stand-alone should be okay?

When I'm right, we just need a Win2k8R2 Server to install SCCM2012. What about the SQL-Server? Can it be installed on the same server or do we need another one?

Due to the fact that the clients aren't in the AD, do we need to extend the schema?

Thanks for your help!

you can install everything on the one server (Standalone Primary) for that number of clients, no problem, just think about lots of storage, fast discs (for SQL) and lots of RAM. When you say the clients aren't in AD can you elaborate please

Okay, the hardware we got should be good enough.

So, the clients are back-office computers in our stores. Each one is connected via VPN to our headquarter. The computer is also connected to the cash registers in the same store. They can't be in the AD because the staff have to work with it (orders and all that stuff) and if the internet connection to the headquarters fails they can't log in to the computer which would be a big problem.

Hope you get it? Sorry for my english if it's hard to understand.

Configuration Manager client computers can be domain members, or workgroup members however if they are workgroup members you'll need to manage them differently, for example you can't install the client using client push to workgroup computers.

Okay, I just talked to our Head-IT-Admin. The computers are only workgroup joined and also available via DNS. I don't know if that makes a change? Why isn't it possible to use the client push installation? That means we have to install the client on each computer manually, right?

You can't push install the client on Workgroup clients, because SCCM is using an domain account for the installation. This account is unknown on Workgroup computers.

You could script the installation and use the local admin account in the script or as you already said, you can install it manually.

You may (will) run into the same problem when you try to deploy software to you clients later on.