anyweb

how can I deploy Windows Server 2008 using SCCM 2007 - 3 Part Guide

Question

The following Step by Step 3 part guide to Deploying Windows Server 2008 using SCCM 2007 covers all the steps necessary to get you up and running in no time at all, screenshots and helpful text show you how to do IT including preconfiguring roles such as Active Directory (ADDS) and DNS.

This 3 part guide is aimed at those of you who can succesfully deploy applications (such as Microsoft Office or Firefox) and Operating Systems (such as Windows Vista SP1 and Windows XP sp3. You'll need to be familiar with Microsoft SMS or SCCM and understand what packages, advertisements and collections mean, the guide will however link you to other guides to bring you every step of the way down the entire path.

Part 1.

* Add new Operating System Install Package

* Import new Task Sequence

Part 2.

* Create and then Update distribution points for the MDT Server packages

* Editing the Task Sequence

* Adding Server Roles and Features

Part 3.

* Create a new collection

* Advertise the Task sequence to a collection

* Add server to collection

* Set the IP address as a variable

* The Deployment

* Troubleshooting PXE errors

The guide above has taken a lot of time to document and I'm quite sure that you will find it helpful (lots of screenshots of every step..)

good luck,

cheers

anyweb

Hello,

I am fighting with Windows Server 2008 Image capture now as I had finally with the huge help of Torsten made the capture of Vista Image sucessfull.

For Windows Server 2008 I am still getting the error 0x0000032 I had, have, will have verify the accounts and passord but still the same error... anything specific to Windows Server 2008?

I started with http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=562 to create the image and capture it.

Now as I am still failing on the capture I have reduced the TS to "Prepare ConfigMgr Client for Capture" (no settings), "Prepare Windows for Capture" (Nothing checked) and "Capture Operating System Image with :

Destination: \\CONFIGMGRSRV\Imaging\Capture\W2K08.wim

Account: AD\SVCCONFIGMGRSRV

Even simplified as is it fails the same way...

Thanks,

- Dom

An update of where I am on the try to capture a Windows Server 2008 image ... it is still failing ...

I posted on technet and myitforum as well but so far I'm in a loop...

main question the TS should it be available to Boot Media?

should I boot from CD or HD? Should I wait the ad to come on the workstation?

As the machine is disjoined from the domain to allow sysprep to run there is something wrong in my approach... but I could not find what :(:unsure:

Agree on sysprep so I was waiting and even doing a 'Initiate Action' on 'Machine Policy Retrieval and Evaluation Cycle' which should retrieve the policy faster anyway... but nothing happened. I will delete the advertisment again and recreate it ...

Yes 'Polling Interval' is still the default 60 minutes.

What do you call 'Client Center'? The 'Configuration Manager Properties' --> 'Actions' tab on the Client? the 'Run Advertised Programs' on the Client? the 'smscliui.log' file? something else? Now it is Friday, May 29,2009 9:15 a.m. it is over 12 hours the ad has been created and still nothing on the workstation... Which Log Files should I look for more information as nothing is going on even after re-advertising the TS?

As nothing seems to work properly I need to ask some basic questions:

- The Task Sequence has been advertised as defined above:

. should I boot from the CD? ('Make this task sequence available to boot media and PXE' is checked in the Advertisment Properties)

. should I wait for the TS to appear in the 'Run Advertised Programs'? (Schedule is set to 'As sson as possible' - 'Allow users to run the Program independently of assigments' is unchecked - 'Show the Task Sequence Progress' is checked

Boot from CD: 'Failed to Run Task Sequence' there are no task sequences available for this computer --> Click Finish to reboot Boot from HD: ' No task appears in the Run Advertisment Programs maybe due to the box unchecked 'Allow users to run the Program independently of assigments' but yesterday at least it was showing before I removed the workstation from the domain... It seems I am missing at least one step but i couldn't find which one?

I went to the client and checked:

- Configuration Manager > Advanced Tab there is no Site

If I use 'Configure Settings" to assign a site and run 'Discover' I am getting an error 'Automatic site discovery was unsucessful'

in the locationservice.log I have some information:

LSGetAssignedSiteFromDirectories LocationServices 5/29/2009 10:17:57 AM 3964 (0x0F7C)

LSGetGPSiteCode LocationServices 5/29/2009 10:17:57 AM 3964 (0x0F7C)

LSGetGPSiteCode: Failed to Get Site Code from Group Policy Reg key [software\Microsoft\SMS\Mobile Client] (80070002) LocationServices 5/29/2009 10:17:57 AM 3964 (0x0F7C)

LSJoinedToADDomain LocationServices 5/29/2009 10:17:57 AM 3964 (0x0F7C)

LSGetAssignedSiteFromSLP LocationServices 5/29/2009 10:17:57 AM 3964 (0x0F7C)

LSGetSLP LocationServices 5/29/2009 10:17:57 AM 3964 (0x0F7C)

LSGetSLPFromRegistry LocationServices 5/29/2009 10:17:57 AM 3964 (0x0F7C)

LSGetSLPFromRegistry: Failed to get SLP from Registry (80004005) LocationServices 5/29/2009 10:17:57 AM 3964 (0x0F7C)

LSJoinedToADDomain LocationServices 5/29/2009 10:17:57 AM 3964 (0x0F7C)

LSWinsResolveSMSName LocationServices 5/29/2009 10:17:57 AM 3964 (0x0F7C)

AddSLPToList LocationServices 5/29/2009 10:17:57 AM 3964 (0x0F7C)

Adding SLP [10.2.19.240] in the list LocationServices 5/29/2009 10:17:57 AM 3964 (0x0F7C)

LSBuildSLPUrlString LocationServices 5/29/2009 10:17:57 AM 3964 (0x0F7C)

LSGetADSiteName LocationServices 5/29/2009 10:17:57 AM 3964 (0x0F7C)

Unable to retrieve AD site membership LocationServices 5/29/2009 10:17:57 AM 3964 (0x0F7C)

[CCMHTTP] HTTP ERROR: URL=http://10.2.19.240/sms_slp/slp.dll?site&ip=10.2.231.0&ir=10.2.231.24, Port=80, Protocol=http, SSLOptions=0, Code=0, Text=CCM_E_BAD_HTTP_STATUS_CODE LocationServices 5/29/2009 10:17:57 AM 3964 (0x0F7C)

Raising event:

instance of CCM_CcmHttp_Status

{

DateTime = "20090529171757.609000+000";

HostName = "10.2.19.240";

HRESULT = "0x8004027e";

ProcessID = 3956;

StatusCode = 404;

ThreadID = 3964;

};

LocationServices 5/29/2009 10:17:57 AM 3964 (0x0F7C)

LSGetAssignedSiteFromSLP: GetURLSyncInStringEx failed with Error (8004027E) LocationServices 5/29/2009 10:17:57 AM 3964 (0x0F7C)

LSGetAssignedSiteFromSLP : No site code returned from SLP LocationServices 5/29/2009 10:17:57 AM 3964 (0x0F7C)

LSGetHomeMPFromWMI LocationServices 5/29/2009 10:17:57 AM 4004 (0x0FA4)

My issue with this log is that the 10.2.19.240 is refering to the primary parent site MED not the primary child site SRV i'm working on...

I checked the registry:

HKLM > Software > Microsoft > SMS > Mobile Client > AssignedSiteCode is set to SRV which is correct There is a SLP on SRV site not on MED site

I tried on another workstation where I was able to get the site code within Configuration manager > Advanced tab and run a sucessful discovery. Still the same issue the advertise ts does not show up... after two hours... even doing a 'Initiate Action' on 'Machine Policy Retrieval and Evaluation Cycle'

Thanks,

- Dom

where did you create the cd ? I assume that you created it on the other primary server or within that boundary, or not ?

where did you create the cd ? I assume that you created it on the other primary server or within that boundary, or not ?

On the primary child server SRV. So I should boot from the CD not from the harddrive, isn't it?

It is the same CD i am using for the build and capture which is working well....

I used also this CD for Vista and it works as well only for the build and capture...

As the sysprep works only when the workstation is disjoined from the domain and I could get the task to the workstation only when the workstation is joined to the domains there is something confuse at these steps...

the error so far is 0x00000032 (no more 0x000004 so unpredictable) when displaying the step:

"Running Action: Install deployment Tools"

I noticed a file under c:\windows\systems32\sysprep\sysprep_suceeded (TAG File) on both Clients what is it referencing to? it is the date/time I ran the sysprep ... so is it the next step which is failing...

Thanks,

- Dom

Reviewing the sysprep it seems failing by itself...

I used the Windows Image System Manager and opened the install.wim from the Windows Server 2008 Std. and Ent. Eds. x86 through Tools > Create Catalog and I am getting an error:

4:22 PM :

4:22 PM : Windows System Image Manager execution failed.

4:22 PM :

4:22 PM : System.Reflection.TargetParameterCountException: Parameter count mismatch.

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.MarshaledInvoke(Control caller, Delegate method, Object[] args, Boolean synchronous)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method, Object[] args)

at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.Common.ErrorReporting.ShowErrorConfirmation(Form owner, String message, Exception ex, String caption, MessageBoxButtons buttons, MessageBoxDefaultButton defaultButton, String servicingPath)

at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.CatalogGenerator.CreateCat(ProgressDialog pd, Object o)

at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.Controls.ProgressDialog.ThreadProc()

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Could it be the source of my issues...

Should I use another file install.wim?

Thanks,

- Dom

One more from :( MICROSOFT :(:(:(:(

Because of the changes in the servicing stack in Windows Vista with Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Windows Server 2008, Windows System Image Manager (Windows SIM) cannot create catalog files for some Windows images of different architecture types. The following list describes the Image Manager architecture types and catalogs that can be created for each one.

x86 Windows SIM:

Can create catalogs for x86, x64, and Itanium-based Windows images.

x64 Windows SIM:

Can create catalogs only for x64 Windows images.

Itanium-based Windows SIM:

Can create catalogs only for Itanium-based Windows images.

So the SCCM Server is Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard x64 Edition Service Pack 2 .... and Windows System Image Manager 6.0.6001.18000 is it viable? is it x86 or x64 for WSIM how to know?

Hi Any,

Sorry my mistake (I know you'll say again...!!! =:)

I was using 'Open Answer File' instead of 'Select Windows Image'

Thanks.... in progress...

- Dom

good luck, and read my windows SIM posts to get a better overview of how it all works..

it's a confusing area to say the least

As I am doing or at least trying a CAPTURE ONLY with the TS steps below:

1)- Install Deployment Tools

Sysprep

2)- Prepare ConfigMgr Client for Capture

3)- Prepare OS

4)- Restart Computer

"The currently installed default operating system." is checked.

5)- Capture Operating System Image

The error 0x00000032 seems to be as Jason said 'file in use' but I am the only one working on configuration manager and the test machine is on my desk...

Which file could be in use???

The error is shown when the 'Install Deployment Tools' is displayed on the screen after may be 30 seconds... so it could be the one involved in the issue or the next one...

For the sysprep I am using a package in the folder \\server name\Sysprep on the sccm folder where I have copied sysprep.exe, sysprep.xml, setupcl.exe (as well as on the test machine these files under the folder C:\sysprep). The package on the SCCM server is the one used in step one 'Install Deployment Tools' The command line for the program in the pacakage on the server is 'sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown /unattend:sysprep.xml'

Something should be wrong as it always fails...

Thanks,

- Dom

ATTENTION

this is a try on STEP3 to deploy (the image not to capture which is still failing...")

Hello,

I have advertised a TS using the full process http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=562

But when booting on the Client Server it does not see the TS...

If I checked the collection the Server is in, the Task Sequence is under the Advertise Tab of the properties...

There is nothing in the smstslog (attached)

Where to look for more information?

Thanks,

- Dom

smstslog_trn3.zip