anyweb

how can I deploy Windows Server 2008 using SCCM 2007 - 3 Part Guide

Question

The following Step by Step 3 part guide to Deploying Windows Server 2008 using SCCM 2007 covers all the steps necessary to get you up and running in no time at all, screenshots and helpful text show you how to do IT including preconfiguring roles such as Active Directory (ADDS) and DNS.

This 3 part guide is aimed at those of you who can succesfully deploy applications (such as Microsoft Office or Firefox) and Operating Systems (such as Windows Vista SP1 and Windows XP sp3. You'll need to be familiar with Microsoft SMS or SCCM and understand what packages, advertisements and collections mean, the guide will however link you to other guides to bring you every step of the way down the entire path.

Part 1.

* Add new Operating System Install Package

* Import new Task Sequence

Part 2.

* Create and then Update distribution points for the MDT Server packages

* Editing the Task Sequence

* Adding Server Roles and Features

Part 3.

* Create a new collection

* Advertise the Task sequence to a collection

* Add server to collection

* Set the IP address as a variable

* The Deployment

* Troubleshooting PXE errors

The guide above has taken a lot of time to document and I'm quite sure that you will find it helpful (lots of screenshots of every step..)

good luck,

cheers

anyweb

As I have nothing working anymore I will start with a basic question:

- How many boot image I need for:

. Hardwares: DC7700, DC7800, DL580

. Operating Systems: XP, Vista, Windows Server 2003. Windows Server 2008

. Network cards: HP NC380T PCIeDP Multifunc Gig Adapter, NC370iMultifunction Gigabit Server Adapter, Intel 82566DM, Intel® PRO/1000 PT Dual Port Connection, etc...

Thanks,

- Dom

I was able to change the site to the correct one on only one machine using the script of Kent Agerlund thanks Kent.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------You don't need to reinstall the client, you can reassign the site code on the clients. You can use this script to change the code, just replace CT1 with your own sitecode. Test it on a single client and let us know if it didn't work.

Dim oSMSClient

Dim oUIResManager

Dim oUIResource

set oSMSClient = CreateObject ("Microsoft.SMS.Client")

set oUIResManager = createobject("UIResource.UIResourceMgr")

Set oUIResource = CreateObject("UIResource.UIResourceMgr")

Set objCacheInfo = oUIResource.GetCacheInfo

Set oCache=oUIResManager.GetCacheInfo()

if Err.Number <>0 then

wscript.echo "Could not create SMS Client Object - quitting"

end if

'Assign client to Servername

oSMSClient.SetAssignedSite "CT1",0

set oSMSClient=nothing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But one is failing with error code 80041003 which seems to be a permissions issue... let me review it...

Local Administrators & ConfigMgr Remote Control Users are the same I will continue to chek on the DCOM ...

DCOM has been updated to reflect the same permissions:

. Default Properties

- Default Authentication Level: Connect

- Default Inpersonation level: Identify

COM Security:

Access permissions:

- Everyone: Local Access, Remote Access

- ANONYMOUS LOGON: Local Access, Remote Access

Launch and Activation permission

- Everyone: Local Launch, Local Activation

- ConfigMgr Remote Control Users: Local Launch, Local Activation

- Local Administrators: Local Launch, Remote Launch, Local Activation, Remote Activation

Both machines have the same rights and permissions so far...

still looking for discrepancies...

Thanks,

- Dom

:(

II tried the same TS on three machines:

- XP picked the TS but failed later with 0x80004005 (smsts.log per attachment) --> incorrect site code???

- Vista did not picked the TS --> I am reimaging this machine

- W2K08 did not picked the TS --> incorrect site code...??? DTS instead of SRV

all machines have been moved from the old site DTS to the new site SRV but did not get the new site code why?

The three machines except their OS are supposdely the same...

- Same hardware

- Same Subnet

- Same NIC

Any idea is welcome...

Thanks,

- Dom

Good news the machine re-imaged picked the TS... bad news it fails later with an error 0x80070002...

so now I have only one machine not picking the task but still three errors:

- 0x80004005 (the site code is correct on this one now...)

- 0x80070002 let me check the new smsts.log for this new imaged machine

- do not pick the TS

- Should all NIC drivers be on the CD I am booting from?

- Does SCCM after booting load the NIC Drivers from the DP updated?

Thanks,

-Dom

smsts.zip

the errors i see are

<![LOG[unknown host (gethostbyname failed)]LOG]!><time="14:15:03.531+000" date="06-04-2009" component="TSManager" context="" type="3" thread="1456" file="libsmsmessaging.cpp:624">

<![LOG[hr, HRESULT=80072ee7 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\framework\osdmessaging\libsmsmessaging.cpp,7714)]LOG]!><time="14:15:03.531+000" date="06-04-2009" component="TSManager" context="" type="0" thread="1456" file="libsmsmessaging.cpp:7714">

<![LOG[sending with winhttp failed; 80072ee7]LOG]!><time="14:15:03.531+000" date="06-04-2009" component="TSManager" context="" type="3" thread="1456" file="libsmsmessaging.cpp:7714">

<![LOG[Will retry in 5 second(s)]LOG]!><time="14:15:03.531+000" date="06-04-2009" component="TSManager" context="" type="2" thread="1456" file="libsmsmessaging.cpp:1937">

which is usually DNS related..

the erst of the log looks ok though, so what is the exact failure you see here ?

the errors i see are

which is usually DNS related..

the erst of the log looks ok though, so what is the exact failure you see here ?

I re-imaged two machines and I have the same errors on them for now...

Add the Administrator group containing all Service and Server Accounts

Boot from CD

Task Sequence seen

Remove CD on request

Running...

Task Sequence: Server Task Sequence has failed with the error code (0x80070002).

on the folowing step

Running action: Apply Operating System Image

Wiping volume C:\

nslookup works fine boths ways both clients.

Thanks,

Dominique

OPPMCCSTRN5_LOGS.zip

OPPMCCSTRN6_LOGS.zip

Finally 4 out of 4 workstations got the Build & Capture TS working... everything was in: DNS, Hardware, Processor not recognized..., Network down, firewall... etc...

All machines are in a WORKGROUP for now.

Is it usual that the 4 WIM files have 4 different sizes?

Should I join them to the domain to run the TS for the Capture ONLY... ? I am not sure as the syprep will not work ....

Now I will add some customization: one application, one background picture for the company and I will try still the 'Capture only' on the four now...

Install deployment Tools with a Package where the command line is "sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown /unattend:sysprep.xml"

Prepare ConfigMgr Client for Capture

Prepare Windows for Capture

Restart Computer

Capture Operating System Image

all files sysprep.exe, sysprep.cl, sysprep.xml have been copied to the reference machine under a folder c:\sysprep

cross-fingers this time at least one will work...

Thanks,

- Dom

Back to the starting point:

Task Sequence: Capture New Image - W2K08 has failed with the error cod (0x00000032).

See smstslog attached..

sending with winhttp failed; 80072ee7

from what i read everybody is thinking Drivers but are they different between a Build & Capture and a capture only TS??? I am using the same boot image and it is failing when displaying this step:

"Install deployment Tools with a Package where the command line is "sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown /unattend:sysprep.xml" "

so before this step...

Which one is really failing?

As I am capturing an image from a workstation the driver is already on the workstation, it is also in the Boot image, is it not enough?

Thanks,

- Dom

wpeinit.zip

Back to the starting point:

Task Sequence: Capture New Image - W2K08 has failed with the error cod (0x00000032).

See smstslog attached..

sending with winhttp failed; 80072ee7

from what i read everybody is thinking Drivers but are they different between a Build & Capture and a capture only TS??? I am using the same boot image and it is failing when displaying this step:

"Install deployment Tools with a Package where the command line is "sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown /unattend:sysprep.xml" "

so before this step...

Which one is really failing?

As I am capturing an image from a workstation the driver is already on the workstation, it is also in the Boot image, is it not enough?

Thanks,

- Dom

Hello,

Still the same error I have the error 0x00000032 on the screen.

I have cleaned-up all drivers from the server (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmgrosd/thread/9766ee48-effa-41d3-9040-b55f87c48ced/) and then imported only the one needed by the workstation used.

I attached the smsts.log

PING, NSLOOKUP, TELNET work

Should the machine be in WORKGROUP or DOMAIN? or doesn't matter?

Should I boot to CD or Harddrive? or doesn't matter?

In the first part of the boot when Initializing Windows PE - Retrieving policy for this computer "Copying/Loading Preinstalation Environment..." is it using information from the CD or from the Task Sequence within the console loaded with the harddrive information? Then after removing the CD the Task Sequence starts.???

I checked already step by step http://blogs.technet.com/smsandmom/archive...ly-reboots.aspx but no clue comes out of it as all tasks requested ran fine...

Thanks,

- Dom

smsts_1.zip

Hello,

Still the same error I have the error 0x00000032 on the screen.

I have cleaned-up all drivers from the server (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmgrosd/thread/9766ee48-effa-41d3-9040-b55f87c48ced/) and then imported only the one needed by the workstation used.

I attached the smsts.log

PING, NSLOOKUP, TELNET work

Should the machine be in WORKGROUP or DOMAIN? or doesn't matter?

Should I boot to CD or Harddrive? or doesn't matter?

In the first part of the boot when Initializing Windows PE - Retrieving policy for this computer "Copying/Loading Preinstalation Environment..." is it using information from the CD or from the Task Sequence within the console loaded with the harddrive information? Then after removing the CD the Task Sequence starts.???

I checked already step by step http://blogs.technet.com/smsandmom/archive...ly-reboots.aspx but no clue comes out of it as all tasks requested ran fine...

Thanks,

- Dom

Hello,

I created a 'Capture Media' CD and the Capture is done without issue.

Exception that I do not have the destination folder i put in the Ts, the file name etc... it did a capture but with default information...

So should I use a bootable CD and a TS or a Capture CD alone or a Capture CD and a TS?

Thanks,

- Dom

Hello,

I tried http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb892804.aspx

So should I use a bootable CD and a TS or a Capture CD alone or a Capture CD and a TS?

Thanks,

- Dom