parko89

Client not installing on some workstations

I have my boundaries configured correctly and Client Push enabled which deploys the client correctly to 90% of workstations (both XP and Win7) and servers (both 2003 and 2008). However, I've found (in particular with XP machines) the client fails to install. In the Devices list there are quite a few devices that have the correct site code assigned but with no client installed.

If I manually try browsing to the client share and run ccmsetup.exe, it copies ccmsetup.exe, ccmsetupexe.download, and ccmsetup.log and that's it.

The log only shows errors Failed to get DP locations as the expected version from MP 'http://<server>'. Error 0x0

Is there anything I'm missing?

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Attached is ccmsetup.log from an XP Workstation which is failing to install the client.

ccmsetup.log

When installing the client via a TS, it works fine. The TS uses the "Configuration Manager Client Upgrade" package (on the Primary Server) which has ccmsetup.exe as a program.

When I use Client Push, I'm pretty sure it uses the "Configuration Manager Client Package" package (on the CAS server).

This has no program and no settings can be changed - it's all greyed out.

Please see attached images.

post-14590-0-36201600-1338430941_thumb.png

post-14590-0-45655200-1338430947_thumb.png

<![LOG[This client might be within the boundaries of more than one site - AD SiteCode search matched 2 entries]LOG]!><time="18:37:12.113-600" date="05-30-2012" component="ccmsetup" context="" type="2" thread="3584" file="lsad.cpp:1770">

<![LOG[Failed to get DP locations as the expected version from MP 'http://HO-SCCM1.servcorp.prd'. Error 0x0]LOG]!><time="18:37:16.197-600" date="05-30-2012" component="ccmsetup" context="" type="2" thread="3584" file="ccmsetup.cpp:9542">

Please verify your boundaries and boundary groups in CM2012 console. At least you should have one boundary and boundary group, both correctly configured:

For the boundaries, no owerlapping subnets should configured. I.e. two different IP ranges should be clear ( 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254 / 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254).

For the boundary group settings you should see options for sites and content location, make sure you have configured it.

I assume you have read http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682042 for more information.

~Tuomas

Take a look at the Client Installation source directory and ensure that all of the files have a non-zero filesize. I had a similar issue because the Silverlight.exe application had a zero filesize in the x86 directory.

If you have zero KB filesize files, take a look at: http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5597-sccm-2012-sporadic-client-installation/

A CAS site cannot manage clients so I doubt that the client is been pushed out from this server. Are the machines in question on the network a long time?? If so try this it has worked for me, delete the PCs DNS entries that are unable to install the client from the DNS console and then reboot them to bring in a fresh DNS entry. Then try it again.

Another step you could try is to check to see if you can browse to the admin share of the PCs in question from your SCCm server, i:e \\PC-name\admin$ If this does not open up the admin share then this is the reason as to why these machines are unable to install the client.

Rocket Man