anyweb

using System Center 2012 Configuration Manager - Part 5. Adding WSUS, Adding the SUP role, deploying the Configuration Manager Client Agent

Can I use this document for implementing WSUS and SUP on a primary site server.

yup

Have you also this new serie in Word or PDF.

nope

Many thanks for your work very usefull.

you are welcome

Running into another issue that I hope someone can help with. With a CAS and two primary sites WSUS and SUP is installed on all 3 machines. I have created the custom client settings and deployed them to the proper collections so they are pulling from the correct primary site. I know my account settings and firewall settings are all ok because I can manually push the client without any problems. Trying to use the Windows update function though keeps failing with an error code 1 at the client machine. Any thoughts on where to start looking for the problem would be most helpful. I will post the ccmsetup.log shortly. Thanks.

I am following the guide. Let me explain what my lab layout is all about.

DC - Server 2012

CAS - Server 2012 (running SQL 2012)

PRI - Server 2012 (running SQL 2012)

Finished part 1, 2, 3 & 4. All went well without any issue. At part 5, I am STRUCK. Installed WSUS role on CAS Server 2012. When, I add SUP role, I don't have the option ACTIVE SETTINGS to select THIS SERVER AS THE ACTIVE SOFTWARE UPDATE POINT. Am, I doing something wrong. In your screen shot, I can see you have Active Settings and the option to select this server as the active software update point.

Appreciate your help.

Ram

EDIT - GOING TO REVAMP THE LAB WITH SERVER 2008 R2 AND USE CONFIG MGR 2012 RTM TO CONTINUE WITH THE LAB EXERCISE. WILL KEEP YOU UPDATED.[/font]

did you do this ? read the end of (step 1)

Note: Repeat the above (installation of the WSUS server role) on your Primary server P01.

and as a side note, this guide is (so far) specifically for the RTM release of Configuration Manager 2012 and therefore Server 2012 is not supported, you need Configuration Manager 2012 Service Pack 1 for that...

are you managing updates using Configuration Manager ? did you previously manage them via WSUS ? did you uninstall WSUS and remove any GPO's prior to enabling the SUP role in ConfigMgr ? are the configmgr clients in a collection targetted with client settings to enable Software Updates ?

Updates are now managed through SCCM 2012. That screen shot is from the WSUS install on the SCCM 2012 server. I don't approve any updates through the WSUS interface I use your guide to auto approve based on Patch Tuesday.

I used to use a WSUS 3.0 SP2 server that is still up and running. I would configure the clients through a GPO that would point to http://WSUSServer and I changed the GPO to http://SCCM2012:8530.

I have configured the Software Update through SCCM - See Image. These settings have been deployed to a Collection Group that I call "All Workstations with Client Installed".

post-18089-0-02973700-1356722863_thumb.jpg

I used to use a WSUS 3.0 SP2 server that is still up and running. I would configure the clients through a GPO that would point to http://WSUSServer and I changed the GPO to http://SCCM2012:8530.

you shouldn't have to use a gpo as when you enable software updates via client settings your client will get a local policy pointing to the SUP and any domain group policy may cause you issues, what does your windowsupdate.log tell you ? and wuahandler.log ?

have you tried removing the GPO's altogether or changing it to point to the FQDN of your SUP on the primary server ? (and not the netbios name)