anyweb

using System Center 2012 Configuration Manager - Part 5. Adding WSUS, Adding the SUP role, deploying the Configuration Manager Client Agent

why are you separating SQL in the first place ? I would use SQL locally for the WSUS database for performance and scalability reasons.

why are you separating SQL in the first place ? I would use SQL for the WSUS database for performance and scalability reasons.

thanks for prompt reply

because in future we like to use same SQL for SCOM server.

is there any other reasons for selecting SQL database for WSUS.

thanks

Any opinions on whether I can rationalise to a single WSUS server? See post #90.

you can continue using the old wsus server by until Configuration Managers new WSUS server is set up and running, once done remove any gpo's pointing to the old WSUS infrastructure and retire it. Configuration Manager will set local gpo's pointing to the SUP (which is the software update point role hosting wsus...)

i don't recommend that you configure WSUS in any way on the Configmgr server, configuration manager's SUP role will take control of WSUS and that's all that needs to be done. Does that make sense ?

Hi,
I'm new to SCCM and have plenty of time at the moment to train on this so I decided to use a Hyper-V platform I already did to validate DirectAccess and add an SCCM 2012 SP1 server to this.
My platform is composed of :

• 2 x Windows Server 2012 with Active Directory role (W2K12DC-AD01 and W2K12DC-AD02)
  • Windows Server 2012 with File server role (W2K12STD-FILES)
  • Windows Server 2012 with WSUS and File server roles (W2K12STD-INSTALL)
  • Windows Server 2012 with Exchange 2013 (W2K12DC-EXCH01)
  • Windows Server 2012 with SCCM 2012 SP1 (W2K12DC-SCCM)
  • Windows Server 2012 used for Edge role (W2K12DC-EDGE01)
  • 2 x Windows 8 clients (WIN8FR-001 and WIN8US-001)
  • Windows XP client (just for fun)

My WSUS server is configured to synchronize all Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8 updates + Office 2013. It already has all patches and updates needed to handle these products.
It automatically approves every update and stores them locally.

I'm confused even though I read all the questions and replies... and I'm sorry if I'm asking something you've already answered.
What I cannot understand regarding my config is :

• Do I need to reinstall a WSUS server on SCCM ?

Reading this seems the explain that it's a yes :

you can continue using the old wsus server by until Configuration Managers new WSUS server is set up and running, once done remove any gpo's pointing to the old WSUS infrastructure and retire it. Configuration Manager will set local gpo's pointing to the SUP (which is the software update point role hosting wsus...)

• If no, how can I use SCCM to point at WSUS server (that has around 90 GB of updates) ? I have tried this but I cannot see Windows 8 / 2012 and Office 2013 in the list of products... So I imagine I have done something wrong.
  • If yes, I imagine I need to configure WSUS on SCCM to use my current WSUS as an upstream in order to avoid downloading 90 GB again... And here, I have a problem : configuring it as an upstream will replicated all approvals. When you say that we have to let SCCM handle the approvals

Reading this seems to explain that it's not the way it should be :

i don't recommend that you configure WSUS in any way on the Configmgr server, configuration manager's SUP role will take control of WSUS and that's all that needs to be done. Does that make sense ?

So what should I do in my case ?
I tend to think it's the same case as MartinL but I'm not really sure about it... So I prefer asking
Thanks

Hi I have been getting some issues when WSUS is deploying the client,

attachicon.gifCapture1.JPG

in the GP shown in the config it was listed as " SITE.Server.domain.local:port

I find that when the SITE included and the client forced to do a windows update

it just fails but when SITE is removed the Process seems to go through it detects

that there is an update to install it reports to be downloading and then fails.

the WSUS agent is seen to be installed the client has been seen to be downloaded

and is present on the machine

any ideas ????

keep up the good work with the site

Ade

Did you ever get this resolved? Im having the same issue and would appreciate any information that can assist me. Thanks.