anyweb

using System Center 2012 Configuration Manager - Part 5. Adding WSUS, Adding the SUP role, deploying the Configuration Manager Client Agent

For those following this lab and installing the update point within a domain containing windows 8 operating systems : You should install following update for your WSUS server : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2734608. Additional information can be found on http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/9068-update-makes-wsus-win-8-compatible.html. Took me half a day to fork this out. Without this update, you get the famous error 0x80096002 when hitting the "Check for updates" within the Microsoft update screen of your Windows 8... I hope this saves some type for the people following this excellent blog. By the way : this is an outstanding tutorial. I recommended it to all of the system engineers involved with this @ work.

• Like 1

Love this site and all you do here!

I have a question about WSUS if you already have WSUS installed and used in your organization, what are the options? We already have an primary WSUS and some down stream servers.

New to this company. Old company installation was pretty straight forward, I took over the WSUS server and made the SCCM the new one.

Here I am not sure I can do that. Thinking I may have to do manual pushes to the clients or put in a GPO to push them out (not large, about 200 desktops/laptops at the moment but server environment is large)

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Again love what you guys do here and the wealth of information so neatly organized.

Jeff

Hi,

I’m totally lost here.

*You’re reverting to WSUS and policies for updates whereas the goal for SCCM 2012 is to do updates via the client, not use GPO anymore.

*In SCCM 2007 you disable the WSUS policy, now you re-enable it again?

Then, if not working with policies (what is the goal, I thought, now you’re handing out management to wsus again so you need sccm- + wsus-console):

*In 2007 you created a “blank for staging” collection, you don’t create a here anymore?

*If you don’t create the “blank for staging”, you could create autodeployment rules “critical updates windows 2008 R2”, “windows 2008 R2” etc, what would mean you download twice (critical updates are already in “windows 2008 r2”); you could then point in “critical updates” to “windows 2008 r2” but then you can’t see the hierarchy/dependency (f.e. if you would delete “windows 2008 r2”, all updates depending on it would be gone

*in wsus you define what to download (products), then you need to define again in deployment the categories, but if wsus doesn’t download, what sense does it make to select a download that wasn’t done by wsus?

*wsus downloads it and sccm downloads it again? Or sccm gets it from wsus, meaning it is the same content on two locations? What a waste of storage

As mentioned: totally lost howto correctly configure.

Please advise.

J.

I had an existing WSUS environment and added this to System Center as a Site System Role as part of Step 5. Of course I did this not knowing that it was not compatable. Now when I try to delete this from System Center I get an error "The server \\wdus01.anifti.com" cannot be deleted becasue it contains teh following site system roles: Component Server.

I have tried to remove thi srole but it is grey out. What can I do to remove this role so I can then delete teh WSUS server? I guess I will then need to delete the WSUS server and let System Center do this?

*You’re reverting to WSUS and policies for updates whereas the goal for SCCM 2012 is to do updates via the client, not use GPO anymore.

*In SCCM 2007 you disable the WSUS policy, now you re-enable it again?

you do realise that this is ONLY for delivery of the Configuration Manager Client using Microsoft's own best practice method and that after that point all updates will come via Configmgr...?

*In 2007 you created a “blank for staging” collection, you don’t create a here anymore?

if you want to do that here you CAN, these are very different products and therefore they are not configured the same way....

*If you don’t create the “blank for staging”, you could create autodeployment rules “critical updates windows 2008 R2”, “windows 2008 R2” etc, what would mean you download twice (critical updates are already in “windows 2008 r2”); you could then point in “critical updates” to “windows 2008 r2” but then you can’t see the hierarchy/dependency (f.e. if you would delete “windows 2008 r2”, all updates depending on it would be gone

not following..

*in wsus you define what to download (products), then you need to define again in deployment the categories, but if wsus doesn’t download, what sense does it make to select a download that wasn’t done by wsus?

*wsus downloads it and sccm downloads it again? Or sccm gets it from wsus, meaning it is the same content on two locations? What a waste of storage

everything that is delivered via the Software Update Point is downloaded via WSUS, the SUP role is Configuration Managers method of controlling what WSUS does or doesn't do.

if you want to do things using Microsoft best practice methods then you can go ahead and follow my guides here, or read what is posted on Technet, I do explain that there are more than one way to do things, If you choose to deliver the Configuration Manager client via Client Push, GPO or another method then use the method that suits you, I am merely offering alternatives and advice (I focus on Microsoft Best Practice)

cheers

niall

Thank you for responding but I was finally able to remove the role by disabling the WSUS role. My problem was I had added my existing WSUS server into the configuration manager setup instead of using a new WSUS server. So, i tried to back out of that and delete teh existing WSUS but it would not allow me to remove it from SCCM becasue it help certain roles.