anyweb

how can I deploy Windows XP SP3 using SCCM 2007 SP1 - Part 1

Question

Please note that this guide is designed to get you Deploying Windows XP with SCCM in a LAB Environment as quickly as possible. This guide is provided as is, if you find any errors please report them in the forums.

In a production environment please consult Technet for best practise, see below links:

Operating System Deployment:

Operating System Deployment in Configuration Manager

Overview of Operating System Deployment

Configuration:

System Center Configuration Manager 2007

Best Practices:

Configuring Configuration Manager Sites for Best Performance

Checklist for Security Best Practices

Best Practices for Central and Primary Site Hardware and Software Configuration

Best Practices for Operating System Deployment

This guide assumes you have installed SCCM 2007 SP1 and then configured it as outlined here in Part 1 you must then do the additional configuration outlined in Part 2, and you must have completed the final configuration tasks in Part 3. Lastly you must be able to deploy an application using SCCM 2007 and you should have reviewed part one and part two of Deploying Windows Vista, which covers setting up the PXE Service point.

Note: In this guide I've used the en_windows_xp_professional_with_service_pack_3_x86_cd_x14-80428.iso available on MSDN, this is the Retail version of XP, you should really use the VL (Volume License edition) in conjunction with your VL key to deploy XP.

Note: This Deploy XP guide will create a build image of Windows XP using the XP cd mentioned above. Once the image is created we will Capture the image. This whole process is known as 'Build and Capture'. The captured image can then be used in a separate task sequence to Deploy XP.

Import XP SP3 as an Operating System Install Package

In the Operating System Deployment node of ConfigMgr, right click on Operating System Install Packages and choose Add Operating System Install Package.

add_os_package.jpg

click on browse and browse to the network share where you have previously copied the XP SP3 CD contents to... (in my case that's \\WIN-AE2V1IRN067\iso\Xp sp3 retail)

browse.jpg

xpsp3retail.jpg

once you have the Data Source correctly specified, click next

path.jpg

on the General Page fill in some details about this XP SP3 image...

xpsp3_details.jpg

review the summary, click next and click close at the confirmation screen.

confirm.jpg

Create a Distribution Point for our Install Package

expand the Install package we've just created and right click on Distribution Points, choose New Distribution Points

new_dist_point.jpg

click next when the wizard appears and select only the first distribution point, do not select the PXE distribution point as this is not a boot image.

dp_only.jpg

click close at the confirmation screen

Now the we have created the distribution point for the operating system install package, let's update the distribution point.

Right click on Distribution Points and choose Update Distribution Points

update_dp.jpg

answer Yes to the confirmation

yes.jpg

Create a New Collection

In SCCM ConfigMgr, highlight collections, right click and choose New Collection,

new_collection.jpg

fill in the collection general details and call this collection Build And Capture XP

build_and_capture_xp_collection.jpg

leave Membership Rules blank

membership_rules.jpg

click OK to the warning

no.jpg

click next on the advertisements and security screens

advertisements.jpg

security.jpg

click close when done

Create the XP SP3 sysprep package

download the XP SP3 deploy.cab file and extract its' contents (or just the sysyprep.inf file) to a folder called sysprep. Create a network share and copy the contents of the sysprep folder into the share, call the share sysprep.

Note: if you are trying to deploy XP SP2 then use this one instead.

Note that the Sysprep package will be used in a step called Install Deployment Tools which must happen after Setup Windows and ConfigMgr step but before the Prepare Configmgr Client step, we will be creating the task sequence in the next part and it will automatically insert that step in the correct place, however we need to define the Sysprep Package first.

install deployment tools.jpg

I'd also recommend you copy your unattend.txt file to the sysprep package, we will use this to make changes to our Windows XP image in the Apply Operating System Image step (see below)

where does unattend txt go.jpg

In ConfigMgr expand the Software Distribution node and right click on Packages and choose New Package.

new_package.jpg

fill in the package details

package_details.jpg

for Data Source, point the wizard to the sysprep share you created earlier eg:

\\WIN-AE2V1IRN067\sysprep

leave Data Access as it is

data_access.jpg

Leave Distribution Settings as they are

for reporting and security just click next, and click next again at the summary and review your actions on the confirmation screen.

Note: If you are trying to deal with AHCI drivers via sysprep then please read this post

Create a Distribution Point and Update it for the Sysprep Package

Expand the Sysprep Package we have just created in ConfigMgr and right click on Distribution Points choose New Distribution Points

dist_sysprep.jpg

Click next and select only the standard distribution point (exactly as we did above for the Operating System Install package), click close when done.

Once created, right-click on distribution points again and this time choose Update Distribution Points.

update_sysprep.jpg

answer Yes when prompted

Create a Package from Definition for the ConfigManager Client

complete the following Step (step 3).

Create distribution point and then update it

complete the following Step (step 4)

>> continue on to complete the next part

Hello,

I am using again this excellent guide but I am stuck at the beginning this time...

"The Specified directory does not contain a valid operating system or you do not have permissions to access it."

- Everyone has full access on the share

- Eveyone has full control on NTFS

The file in the folder is the same as in the example en_windows_xp_professional_with_service_pack_3_x86_cd_x14-80428.iso

if I try from the Vista folder it works... but it was not an iso file ... it is the CD ...

Any idea?

Thanks

Dom,

all you have to do is burn that ISO to DVD or mount it via daemon tools or similar, sorry if I didn't make that clear

ie: I only mentioned 'iso' to tell you what version of XP i was using...

cheers

anyweb

Dom,

all you have to do is burn that ISO to DVD or mount it via daemon tools or similar, sorry if I didn't make that clear

ie: I only mentioned 'iso' to tell you what version of XP i was using...

cheers

anyweb

Hi Any,

Sorry I think I was not clear in my question.

It works fine with Vista it is the document 569 I am using and if I do the following steps:

- Download from MSDN the XP Iso en_windows_xp_profesional_with_service_pack_3_x86_cd_x14-80428.iso to a share folder Applications\XP SP3-Iso

then i am trying to use it to create a Package...

- Add Operating System Install Package

- Input \\CONFIGMGRDTS\Applications\XP SP3-Iso for the source directory

- Click next and I am getting the error:

"The Specified directory does not contain a valid operating system or you do not have permissions to access it"

If I try on Applications\Vista (not iso for now) I am able to get the next screen and create the package... it seems I miss some files from the XP CD??? which are use to control the content of the Source Directory???

Thanks,

Dom

Dom

you have extracted the contents of the ISO file so that you can see all the files within it havnt you ???

you can do that two ways, burn a DVD using the ISO image or mount the iso in daemon tools or similar

if you are trying to use the ISO file itself for this SCCM guide, then it will fail,

cheers

anywe

Dom

you have extracted the contents of the ISO file so that you can see all the files within it havnt you ???

you can do that two ways, burn a DVD using the ISO image or mount the iso in daemon tools or similar

if you are trying to use the ISO file itself for this SCCM guide, then it will fail,

cheers

anywe

Any,

I see now that the ISO itself is the trouble... No the ISO was still as is not extracted.

I have downloanded a Vista ISO and an XP CD now to try again to complete my testing, so Vista is failing as ISO and within 1 minutes Iwill see for XP CD.

Everuthing works fine from the CD let me go further now...

Thanks,

Dom