anyweb

how can I deploy Windows XP SP3 using SCCM 2007 SP1 - Part 1

Question

Please note that this guide is designed to get you Deploying Windows XP with SCCM in a LAB Environment as quickly as possible. This guide is provided as is, if you find any errors please report them in the forums.

In a production environment please consult Technet for best practise, see below links:

Operating System Deployment:

Operating System Deployment in Configuration Manager

Overview of Operating System Deployment

Configuration:

System Center Configuration Manager 2007

Best Practices:

Configuring Configuration Manager Sites for Best Performance

Checklist for Security Best Practices

Best Practices for Central and Primary Site Hardware and Software Configuration

Best Practices for Operating System Deployment

This guide assumes you have installed SCCM 2007 SP1 and then configured it as outlined here in Part 1 you must then do the additional configuration outlined in Part 2, and you must have completed the final configuration tasks in Part 3. Lastly you must be able to deploy an application using SCCM 2007 and you should have reviewed part one and part two of Deploying Windows Vista, which covers setting up the PXE Service point.

Note: In this guide I've used the en_windows_xp_professional_with_service_pack_3_x86_cd_x14-80428.iso available on MSDN, this is the Retail version of XP, you should really use the VL (Volume License edition) in conjunction with your VL key to deploy XP.

Note: This Deploy XP guide will create a build image of Windows XP using the XP cd mentioned above. Once the image is created we will Capture the image. This whole process is known as 'Build and Capture'. The captured image can then be used in a separate task sequence to Deploy XP.

Import XP SP3 as an Operating System Install Package

In the Operating System Deployment node of ConfigMgr, right click on Operating System Install Packages and choose Add Operating System Install Package.

add_os_package.jpg

click on browse and browse to the network share where you have previously copied the XP SP3 CD contents to... (in my case that's \\WIN-AE2V1IRN067\iso\Xp sp3 retail)

browse.jpg

xpsp3retail.jpg

once you have the Data Source correctly specified, click next

path.jpg

on the General Page fill in some details about this XP SP3 image...

xpsp3_details.jpg

review the summary, click next and click close at the confirmation screen.

confirm.jpg

Create the XP SP3 sysprep package

download the XP SP3 deploy.cab file and extract its' contents (or just the sysyprep.inf file) to a folder called sysprep. Create a network share and copy the contents of the sysprep folder into the share, call the share sysprep.

Please explain why you mention only needing the SysPrep.inf file. Within deploy.cab there is not a sample INF for use as a template but still; my main question is the reference to the INF if it does not exist. What happens if in my package, I do not have an INF?

running the sysprep setup program (can't remember what it\s called but its in the sysprep package download referred to above) will create the SIF file for you, the sif file contains the data needed to automate windows installation

Create a Package from Definition for the ConfigManager Client

complete the following Step (step 3).

Create distribution point and then update it

complete the following Step (step 4)

>> continue on to complete the next part

Hello,

I wanted to thank you for this great manual. As so far everything is working perfect, even though I didn't extend the AD schema. I added the sites name in our WINS server.

But I'm a bit stuck now. Regarding this OSD, do we need to complete these 2 steps (steps 3 - 4) before going to part 2?

And if I understand correctly, I'll have to sysprep an XP-machine to capture the sysprepped OS? Or will our SCCM create a sysprepped OS itself (with the UNC path to the OS-cd we've entered)? And if we need to sysprep a physical machine to capture the OS, how did you manage to take screenshots of a machine installing itself??

I hope my questions are a bit clear to you...

Many Thanks and keep up the good work!!

you need to complete those steps if you have not already done them at least once before

Thanks for the quick reply!

I think I've got it now; if I already have a syspredded image, I don't need to sysprep a physical machine, I just need to have that image somewhere on a share ...

Thanks again for helping us out!

Hi,

I have a scenario in my organization.

We are using Symantec ghost for Windows XP Deployment.

recently I created a .wim image with the help of Window AIK tool.

I configure the SCCM 2007 over Windows 2008 server.

Now how can I use this WIM image to deploy Windows XP to all our PXE enable PC? we have around 150 PXE enable NIC PC of different models and the .WIM iamge was taken after sysprep, I am using customize Windows PE to boot up the PC and then use ghost to deploy .gho image.

Hello, great guide. I've used to install and configure SCCM 2007 from the ground-floor up. However, I'm having some difficulty with this particular step. The creation of the XP SP3 sysprep package.

How do I get the "Build and Capture Windows XP SP3 Task Sequence Editor" to appear, please?

Thanks

Create the XP SP3 sysprep package

download the XP SP3 deploy.cab

Note: if you are trying to deploy XP SP2 then "]Note that the Sysprep package will be used in a step called Install Deployment Tools which must happen after Setup Windows and ConfigMgr step but before the Prepare Configmgr Client step, we will be creating the task sequence in the next part and it will automatically insert that step in the correct place, however we need to define the Sysprep Package first.

post-1-12868591743578_thumb.jpg

I'd also recommend you copy your unattend.txt file to the sysprep package, we will use this to make changes to our Windows XP image in the Apply Operating System Image step (see below)

post-1-12868591905753_thumb.jpg

In ConfigMgr expand the Software Distribution node and right click on Packages and choose New Package.

post-1-1225362139_thumb.jpg

fill in the package details

post-1-1225362234_thumb.jpg

for Data Source, point the wizard to the sysprep share you created earlier eg:

\\WIN-AE2V1IRN067\sysprep

leave Data Access as it is

post-1-1225362721_thumb.jpg

Leave Distribution Settings as they are

for reporting and security just click next, and click next again at the summary and review your actions on the confirmation screen.

Note: If you are trying to deal with AHCI drivers via sysprep then please read this post

Like the other user said before me.

I still dont understand how you manage to get that "Build and Capture Windows XP SP3 Task Sequence Editor" to appear.

Are you missing some steps to perform in task sequence?

My task sequence in my lab shows nothing...

So how do I get that window to show up so I can complete the sysprep process in task sequence?

Like the other user said before me.

I still dont understand how you manage to get that "Build and Capture Windows XP SP3 Task Sequence Editor" to appear.

Are you missing some steps to perform in task sequence?

My task sequence in my lab shows nothing...

So how do I get that window to show up so I can complete the sysprep process in task sequence?

You will come to this screen if you rightclick your Task and chose Edit. Now you can see all the steps within the capturing phase and can edit them.

But I have another question concerning the sysprep.inf. Earlier in this guide anyweb said you should use the sysprep.inf file, a few posts later he is talking about the SIF-File. IF you start the Setupmagr.exe in your sysprep folder we chose Create New -> Sysprep Setup -> Windows XP -> Fully Automated we see the screen where you can type in all the different information for the XP installation. Do you have to fill in everything in this window? Because then we configured some settings in the .inf-File and in our Capturing Task Sequence twice e.g. Windows License Key or the Workgroup etc. Is that correct and do we need the unattend.txt as well?

This is our sysprep.inf

------------------------------------------------

;SetupMgrTag

[unattended]

OemSkipEula=Yes

InstallFilesPath=C:\sysprep\i386

[GuiUnattended]

AdminPassword="Testdomain"

EncryptedAdminPassword=NO

OEMSkipRegional=1

TimeZone=110

OemSkipWelcome=1

[userData]

ProductKey=XXXXX

FullName="Hans"

OrgName="IF"

ComputerName=Test

[Display]

BitsPerPel=32

Xresolution=800

YResolution=600

[RegionalSettings]

LanguageGroup=1

SystemLocale=00000407

UserLocale=00000407

InputLocale=0407:00000407

[setupMgr]

DistFolder=C:\sysprep\i386

DistShare=windist

[identification]

JoinDomain=Testlabor.if

DomainAdmin=Administrator

DomainAdminPassword=Testdomain

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

--------------------------------------------------------

Using this file we got the errorcode 0x00000001 within the "Install Deployment Tools" step.

This is what we did before:

Creating the Sysprep Package -> check

Share this folder even for everyone -> check

Data Source \\server\sysprep -> check

Creating und updating the Distribution Point -> check

Regards

Frank

Solved:

I don't know exaxctly what this problem solved but it is not existent any more. So I just updated all DP und all of a sudden it works. :rolleyes:

Hello,

I have followed the example from start to finish. I get to the last phase "preparing OS" - Running sysprep command

It then bombs out giving me this error code. 0x80070002

Is this an issue with permission on the capture share?

I have checked and it is giving everyone full control. NTFS permissions as well.

Any thoughts would be great.