anyweb

how can I deploy Windows XP SP3 using SCCM 2007 SP1 - Part 1

Question

Please note that this guide is designed to get you Deploying Windows XP with SCCM in a LAB Environment as quickly as possible. This guide is provided as is, if you find any errors please report them in the forums.

In a production environment please consult Technet for best practise, see below links:

Operating System Deployment:

Operating System Deployment in Configuration Manager

Overview of Operating System Deployment

Configuration:

System Center Configuration Manager 2007

Best Practices:

Configuring Configuration Manager Sites for Best Performance

Checklist for Security Best Practices

Best Practices for Central and Primary Site Hardware and Software Configuration

Best Practices for Operating System Deployment

This guide assumes you have installed SCCM 2007 SP1 and then configured it as outlined here in Part 1 you must then do the additional configuration outlined in Part 2, and you must have completed the final configuration tasks in Part 3. Lastly you must be able to deploy an application using SCCM 2007 and you should have reviewed part one and part two of Deploying Windows Vista, which covers setting up the PXE Service point.

Note: In this guide I've used the en_windows_xp_professional_with_service_pack_3_x86_cd_x14-80428.iso available on MSDN, this is the Retail version of XP, you should really use the VL (Volume License edition) in conjunction with your VL key to deploy XP.

Note: This Deploy XP guide will create a build image of Windows XP using the XP cd mentioned above. Once the image is created we will Capture the image. This whole process is known as 'Build and Capture'. The captured image can then be used in a separate task sequence to Deploy XP.

Import XP SP3 as an Operating System Install Package

In the Operating System Deployment node of ConfigMgr, right click on Operating System Install Packages and choose Add Operating System Install Package.

add_os_package.jpg

click on browse and browse to the network share where you have previously copied the XP SP3 CD contents to... (in my case that's \\WIN-AE2V1IRN067\iso\Xp sp3 retail)

browse.jpg

xpsp3retail.jpg

once you have the Data Source correctly specified, click next

path.jpg

on the General Page fill in some details about this XP SP3 image...

xpsp3_details.jpg

review the summary, click next and click close at the confirmation screen.

confirm.jpg

Hello - I was hoping to get some help with my OSD. I have working up to getting a pc to PXE boot into SCCM and SCCM says it is going to install Windows in 190 seconds provided you don't cancel it. Once 190 seconds go by the pc reboots and nothing happens. Let me know if you wany any information from the smspxe log or anything else.

Thanks!!