anyweb

how can I deploy Windows XP SP3 using SCCM 2007 SP1 - Part 2

Question

This guide assumes you have installed SCCM 2007 SP1 and then configured it as outlined here in Part 1 you must then do the additional configuration outlined in Part 2, and you must have completed the final configuration tasks in Part 3. Lastly you must be able to deploy an application using SCCM 2007

In addition to the above you must have completed Part 1 of this guide

Create the Task Sequence

right click on Task Sequences and choose New Task Sequence

new_ts.jpg

choose the second option (Build and Capture a reference operating system image)

build_and_capture.jpg

fill in your Task Sequence Information

build_and_capture_ts.jpg

click browse and select our X86 boot image

Note: if you don't see the x86 windows PE boot enviroment for SCCM 1.0 EN-US image listed then follow these steps first.

x86boot.jpg

On the Install Windows screen click on Browse and select the XP SP3 operating system install package we created in Part 1.

sp3_install_package.jpg

Input your product key and make sure to enable the local Administrator account,

install_windows.jpg

Configure Network

Here we need to enter our network configuration and click next, choose Join Workgroup (recommended best practise). Although joining the domain will work just fine you may have GPO's in place, or startup scripts (login scripts) etc which may taint your master image, keeping it off the domain will keep it clean.

on the Install ConfigMgr screen, browse to the Predefined ConfigMgr Client Package we created earlier

client_package.jpg

install_config.jpg

for the Updates and Software screens choose don't install any (ie: next, next)

for the System Preparation screen click on browse and choose the sysprep package we created earlier

sysprep.jpg

fill in the image properties

image_properties.jpg

On the Capture image screen, browse to a share on your network for copying the image to, and give the file a name

eg:

\\WIN-AE2V1IRN067\captures\xpsp3r.wim

fill in your user account for capturing the image with, I use SMSadmin

capture_image.jpg

click next, next and close at the confirmation screen

ts_done.jpg

it sounds like your dhcp server is not telling the pxe client where the pxeboot.com file is

so is your dhcp server on the same server as the SCCM server or another one ?, if its on another one you'll need to configure options 60, 66, 67 iirc

Thanks, anyweb for ur help

First to explain the network settings the dhcp server and SCCM are on a separate sever. So, i have only configured option 66 (boot server host name) on my dhcp server. Option 60 is not available on my dhcp server. I don't know why? I tried to configure option 67 but i don't know which entries to insert on the string value. so can you please tell me that too?

Additional information:

the dhcp server and SCCM are on different vlan than the pxe client.

Thank you very much in advance!

Hi,

yesterday after i only configured option 66 on my other dhcp server, when i boot my pxe client from the network the dhcp server gave an IP address, sub mask and gateway to the client computer. After that it displays the following error messages

1. TFTP error: file not found

2. PXE-T01: file not found

My guess is i didn't configure option 67 with the boot file name string. I use this guide to configure my SCCM server and could you please help me what is the string that i am suppose to enter in option 67? If my guess is wrong, what will be the cause for displaying those errors?

Appricated it a lot!

Quick questions for this type of deployment. The purpose of this deployment is to install and later caputer the image that was just deployed and copy it back to the server.

Now if you do that, you will only be able to use that image on one TYPE of hardware pc only because of the different (HAL) Hardware Abstraction Layer and so on.

Is it possible to use that deployment to just install the operating system without capturing it later. I just want to deploy the operating system to multiple computers regardless of the hardware they are running, I want a gold image in other words. This process could install the base operating system regardless of hardware and later I can just create task sequences to deploy Software installations on the computer.

The computer you used to deploy the Windows xp Sp3 files, was that a barebone machine without an OS. Please share your thoughts on this and what could be the best solution. Thanks in advance.

yes its possible, just disable the entire capture portion of the task sequence,

btw you can customise the hal as well, look for a post about that right here

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=574

Thanks for this excellent post as it has gotten me to successfully replicate what you have done. One question I do have. Let's say after I deployed this OS I want to go in and add some applications change some backgrounds add customized features etc. What is the process of modifying the image then just doing a sysprep and capture as to save all my changes? Can you provide me with a broad overview? Thanks in advance I really appreciate it.

to change it you would place the image back on the machine it was created on, make the changes you want, re-sysprep it and capture it again, but remember you shouldn't sysprep an image more than three or so times

the other alternative is to use imagex to mount the WIM file and edit it directly, but that is more advanced

cheers

to change it you would place the image back on the machine it was created on, make the changes you want, re-sysprep it and capture it again, but remember you shouldn't sysprep an image more than three or so times

the other alternative is to use imagex to mount the WIM file and edit it directly, but that is more advanced

cheers

You say you will only want to sysprep 3 times or so? I've never heard this before. What are the reprucussions of Sysprepping a machine too much?

see here

Interesting I've never tried to Sysprep that many times may be that's why i've never ran into it. I guess it's a good think I kept my original "build and capture" image as it has only been sysprep'd one time.