anyweb

how can I deploy Windows XP SP3 using SCCM 2007 SP1 - Part 2

Question

This guide assumes you have installed SCCM 2007 SP1 and then configured it as outlined here in Part 1 you must then do the additional configuration outlined in Part 2, and you must have completed the final configuration tasks in Part 3. Lastly you must be able to deploy an application using SCCM 2007

In addition to the above you must have completed Part 1 of this guide

Create the Task Sequence

right click on Task Sequences and choose New Task Sequence

new_ts.jpg

choose the second option (Build and Capture a reference operating system image)

build_and_capture.jpg

fill in your Task Sequence Information

build_and_capture_ts.jpg

click browse and select our X86 boot image

Note: if you don't see the x86 windows PE boot enviroment for SCCM 1.0 EN-US image listed then follow these steps first.

x86boot.jpg

On the Install Windows screen click on Browse and select the XP SP3 operating system install package we created in Part 1.

sp3_install_package.jpg

Input your product key and make sure to enable the local Administrator account,

install_windows.jpg

Configure Network

Here we need to enter our network configuration and click next, choose Join Workgroup (recommended best practise). Although joining the domain will work just fine you may have GPO's in place, or startup scripts (login scripts) etc which may taint your master image, keeping it off the domain will keep it clean.

on the Install ConfigMgr screen, browse to the Predefined ConfigMgr Client Package we created earlier

client_package.jpg

install_config.jpg

for the Updates and Software screens choose don't install any (ie: next, next)

for the System Preparation screen click on browse and choose the sysprep package we created earlier

sysprep.jpg

fill in the image properties

image_properties.jpg

On the Capture image screen, browse to a share on your network for copying the image to, and give the file a name

eg:

\\WIN-AE2V1IRN067\captures\xpsp3r.wim

fill in your user account for capturing the image with, I use SMSadmin

capture_image.jpg

click next, next and close at the confirmation screen

ts_done.jpg

I think your only options is to try to repair it....

Besides that i tried to do a Capture Only this weekend and it worked like a charm. I created a Task Sequence without a Mandatory schedule so i had to start it from the Run Advertised Programs. For Windows 7 my Task Sequence had the following steps:

Join Workgroup
    Prepare ConfigMgr Client
    Prepare OS
    Capture the reference image

For Windows XP I use the same steps but as last step of my BUILD I use a step Install Deployment Tools to copy the Sysprep package (which is already by default on a Windows 7 CLient)

Besides that i tried to do a Capture Only this weekend and it worked like a charm. I created a Task Sequence without a Mandatory schedule so i had to start it from the Run Advertised Programs. For Windows 7 my Task Sequence had the following steps:

• Join Workgroup
    Prepare ConfigMgr Client
    Prepare OS

For Windows XP I use the same steps but as last step of my BUILD I use a step Install Deployment Tools to copy the Sysprep package (which is already by default on a Windows 7 CLient)

Cool, thanks for the steps. I will just rebuild the PC and give it another shot. The reason I'm so hesitant is the PC uses ahci and the drivers are giving me a hard time when I try to sysprep. However, I've been working on a sysprep file with the mass storage drivers this weekend. I will give it a shot again. I guess it was my fault for adding the boot into PE mode step in there. Thanks again for your help guys. It's hard to find SCCM communities on the net.

• Join Workgroup
    Prepare ConfigMgr Client
    Prepare OS

I have taken your advice and ran the steps listed.

Install Deployment tools

Join Workgroup

Prepare ConfigMgr Client

Prepare OS

It does the first two reboots then it gets to the third step which is prepare configmgr client. After about 30 minutes on this one step it fails with these logs.

Timed out waiting for ccmexec service to be fully operational PrepareSMSClient 9/10/2009 12:41:35 PM 3828 (0x0EF4)

Failed to wait for Ccmexec service to be fully operational (0x80004005) PrepareSMSClient 9/10/2009 12:41:35 PM 3828 (0x0EF4)

Failed waiting for client agent service to initialize. Code 0x80004005 PrepareSMSClient 9/10/2009 12:41:35 PM 3828 (0x0EF4)

Failed to prepare SMS Client for capture, hr=80004005 PrepareSMSClient 9/10/2009 12:41:35 PM 3828 (0x0EF4)

Failed to run the action: Prepare ConfigMgr Client.

Unspecified error (Error: 80004005; Source: Windows) TSManager 9/10/2009 12:41:35 PM 1976 (0x07B8)[/color

Again any help would greatly be appreciated.

I have taken your advice and ran the steps listed.

Install Deployment tools

Join Workgroup

Prepare ConfigMgr Client

Prepare OS

It does the first two reboots then it gets to the third step which is prepare configmgr client. After about 30 minutes on this one step it fails with these logs.

Timed out waiting for ccmexec service to be fully operational PrepareSMSClient 9/10/2009 12:41:35 PM 3828 (0x0EF4)

Failed to wait for Ccmexec service to be fully operational (0x80004005) PrepareSMSClient 9/10/2009 12:41:35 PM 3828 (0x0EF4)

Failed waiting for client agent service to initialize. Code 0x80004005 PrepareSMSClient 9/10/2009 12:41:35 PM 3828 (0x0EF4)

Failed to prepare SMS Client for capture, hr=80004005 PrepareSMSClient 9/10/2009 12:41:35 PM 3828 (0x0EF4)

Failed to run the action: Prepare ConfigMgr Client.

Unspecified error (Error: 80004005; Source: Windows) TSManager 9/10/2009 12:41:35 PM 1976 (0x07B8)[/color

Again any help would greatly be appreciated.

Since my prepare configmgr client step is just timing out at this point what is the down side if I just skip this step before capturing my image?

Hello,

I have a strange problem.

I have just a x86 boot image installed in boot images and I did a task sequence to install a WIM image captured.

I boot the computer which will receipt the package.

The pxe boot begin and it find a x64 boot sequence and it waits for a answer from the server but of course nothing comes.

I don't understand how the computer can find a x64 boot sequence instead of mine ?

Could you help me?

the computer most likely has X64 support in it's cpu most do nowadays.,

the last task sequence advertised to this collection must have had a X64 boot image in it, can you confirm that ?

No it is strange it is old computer I never used the pxe boot.

It's like if it is in memory.

It worked this morning on another computer but the same model. What is strange is the computer was not in my collection, so it was not find the server !

Now it is on the good collection but it still looks for the x64 boot image.

An idea ?

Do you need some logs`?

I have a Dell OptiPlex 755 as my test device. When I try to use the PXE boot image, I get an error that iastor.sys is not correct or missing. I now this to be a Dell issue. When I try to add the driver tot he image, I get an error that states to refer to the logs. What log do I need and where do I find it OR how can I force this driver into the PXE image?

Jimm