anyweb

how can I deploy Windows XP SP3 using SCCM 2007 SP1 - Part 2

Question

This guide assumes you have installed SCCM 2007 SP1 and then configured it as outlined here in Part 1 you must then do the additional configuration outlined in Part 2, and you must have completed the final configuration tasks in Part 3. Lastly you must be able to deploy an application using SCCM 2007

In addition to the above you must have completed Part 1 of this guide

Create the Task Sequence

right click on Task Sequences and choose New Task Sequence

new_ts.jpg

choose the second option (Build and Capture a reference operating system image)

build_and_capture.jpg

fill in your Task Sequence Information

build_and_capture_ts.jpg

click browse and select our X86 boot image

Note: if you don't see the x86 windows PE boot enviroment for SCCM 1.0 EN-US image listed then follow these steps first.

x86boot.jpg

On the Install Windows screen click on Browse and select the XP SP3 operating system install package we created in Part 1.

sp3_install_package.jpg

Input your product key and make sure to enable the local Administrator account,

install_windows.jpg

Configure Network

Here we need to enter our network configuration and click next, choose Join Workgroup (recommended best practise). Although joining the domain will work just fine you may have GPO's in place, or startup scripts (login scripts) etc which may taint your master image, keeping it off the domain will keep it clean.

on the Install ConfigMgr screen, browse to the Predefined ConfigMgr Client Package we created earlier

client_package.jpg

install_config.jpg

for the Updates and Software screens choose don't install any (ie: next, next)

for the System Preparation screen click on browse and choose the sysprep package we created earlier

sysprep.jpg

fill in the image properties

image_properties.jpg

On the Capture image screen, browse to a share on your network for copying the image to, and give the file a name

eg:

\\WIN-AE2V1IRN067\captures\xpsp3r.wim

fill in your user account for capturing the image with, I use SMSadmin

capture_image.jpg

click next, next and close at the confirmation screen

ts_done.jpg

Hy Any,

So I followed All steps,from the beginning until this point without getting any errors whatsoever. When I PXE-boot the client, it doesn't seem to be able to contact SCCM or the DHCP server.

WDS installed and running, DHCP up and running on the SCCM server (So I presume I don't have to configure any ports).

It's probably a simple setting somewhere but I can't seem to find info on that ... Or could you tell me what log-file I should be lokking at?

Thanks a lot!

There are some things you have to check and that maybe are not sccm related.

Check;

• if you have dhcp server active and giving correct ip adresses
  • your boundaries in sccm or else you can't pxe at all. they must correspond with your ip ranges in dhcp. there was also something with the ports. wds may have the same port than dhcp, can't remember for sure.
  • that you took the correct ethernet drivers for your machine in order that pxe can boot on it
  • is the windows deployment service started on your sccm server

These are the first thing I think of

I have a Dell OptiPlex 755 as my test device. When I try to use the PXE boot image, I get an error that iastor.sys is not correct or missing. I now this to be a Dell issue. When I try to add the driver tot he image, I get an error that states to refer to the logs. What log do I need and where do I find it OR how can I force this driver into the PXE image?

Jimm

In case anyone else goes through this.

Seems like Intel have updated the iaAHCI.inf and iaStor.inf files for both

the x86 and x64 drivers.

Downloaded Intel Matrix Storage Manager (version 8.9.0.1023)

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=2101

Extracted the file IATA89ENU.exe to a temp folder

IATA89ENU.exe -a -p c:\temp

x86 drivers end up in C:\temp\winall\Driver

x64 drivers end up in C:\temp\winall\Driver64

I removed the previous Intel storage drivers I had.

I then imported drivers using the path C:\temp\winall64 and checked "Import

drivers even if they are duplicates of and existing driver".

This gave me 2 iaAHCI and 2 iaStor drivers. Both correctly detected as x86

and x64.

I can now PXE load my pre-OS for capturing in SCCM

Jimm

There are some things you have to check and that maybe are not sccm related.

Check;

• if you have dhcp server active and giving correct ip adresses
  • your boundaries in sccm or else you can't pxe at all. they must correspond with your ip ranges in dhcp. there was also something with the ports. wds may have the same port than dhcp, can't remember for sure.
  • that you took the correct ethernet drivers for your machine in order that pxe can boot on it
  • is the windows deployment service started on your sccm server

These are the first thing I think of

Hi Kingskawn,

So if I understand correctly, SCCM will sysprep my XP-machine, instead of sysprepping it myself. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

* DHCP-server : up and running. The IP-range is defenitely within the boundaries. I've made 15 reservations for DHCP to use in case of a PXE-request. I do need to put the MAC-address of that machine in the DHCP-server as all our computers have fixed IP-addresses and some people here have a laptop that they take home. So those machines have an alternative IP-configuration, what makes that I need to put invalid MAC-Addresses for the 15 addresses I've reserved in DHCP, if not they'll get an IP-address from the DHCP...

I'll have to check the port-settings, but as I understood there is no configuration of ports needed if the DHCP server is on the same machine as the SCCM server...

*WDS started on the server

*Correct drivers for the xp-machine. The XP-machine is a functional XP Pro SP3 machine. It has all the drivers it needs to connect to our network (it is running in our network as we speek). So I presume that there is a correct NIC, right?

Cuz I need SCCM to capture this machine and sysprep it so I can deploy it afterwards. And eventually add some drivers so I can use this image on other HAL's.

Or if someone could point me to a log I should check?

(PS : FYI. In the past I used the same IP-addresses in DHCP for my WDS-Server, and there was no problem PXE-booting any client in our network. That's why I'm a bit lost here. I'm sure it will be something simple, a stupid setting or a mark I didn't put somewhere ...)

I hope it's a bit clear to you, English is not my native language, I do my best.

Thanks again!

You also installed WAIK I suppose if you installed the WDS service?

If you filled in all info in SCCM to create a machine then it will sysprep it for you. You can also choose to install a machine with a sysprep file that you create.

As for your problem, so when you advertise a task sequence (OSD) when you start the client computer it boots or it is still looking for an ip address or something else?

Is there a screen that you recognizes?;

pxeerror-thumb.jpg

9E0C885127A7422595EAB26F8531269A.jpg

Yes, WAIK is installed, and i filled all info in SCCM as in this guide.

It's a bit confusing, I try to capture an XP system, and at the end of part 1 it says to do steps 3 & 4, who are links to capture a Vista machine. But untill where do we have to take these steps? Untill part 5 of Deploying Vista??

As for the screenshots;

I don't get an address from my DHCP server, then it exits the PXE-boot saying : PXE E53: No Boot Name received ...

As for the port options for DHCP; I would like to check them but where do I find them?

Thanks

Hold yer Horses there!

I've just found out that I DO need to configure the WDS server, telling it not to listen to port 67 and use 60 as PXE .... I read that if the WDS-DHCP-SCCM are on the same machine one doesn't need to configure the WDS server ... go figure ... hehehe

So finally i got an answer from my machine!!

So now I've got a screen (like your middle screen) with a pending request ... So I presume that there is some sort of authentication issue somewhere ... If you could point that out to me, I would be gratefull!! In the mean time I'll google it.

Thanks again!

Yes the solution of the port was the thing I said before ;-) I couldn't give you the right link to it at that time but google can still help you

But now you have the question of a pending request. Did you make an advertisement of a task sequence? The capture sequence for instance?

If yes did you check "make this task sequence available to boot media and pxe" ?

To see the log go an look for a log called "SMSPXE.log" on the sccm server. Another source o finformation is technet; My link

Indeed, you told me about the ports. But it's a bit confusing ... nevermind, it's working, or that part at least ...

I did advertise the capture sequence, and checked the "make this task sequence available .....". I even deleted it and made a new advertisement, but to no avail. I'll check the log now, and let you know in a while ...

Thanks!

AAARRRRGHHH!!!

I removed WDS, PXE point role,re-installed as I documented (did so a few times, worked everytime), and now my WDS-server doesn't start anymore .... As Cypress Hill says : "I think I'm going crazy ....."

Could you please tell me what to check? And how do I "Clear the last PXE advert"?

Thanks for the help ...