anyweb

how can I deploy Windows XP SP3 using SCCM 2007 SP1 - Part 2

Question

This guide assumes you have installed SCCM 2007 SP1 and then configured it as outlined here in Part 1 you must then do the additional configuration outlined in Part 2, and you must have completed the final configuration tasks in Part 3. Lastly you must be able to deploy an application using SCCM 2007

In addition to the above you must have completed Part 1 of this guide

Create the Task Sequence

right click on Task Sequences and choose New Task Sequence

new_ts.jpg

choose the second option (Build and Capture a reference operating system image)

build_and_capture.jpg

fill in your Task Sequence Information

build_and_capture_ts.jpg

click browse and select our X86 boot image

Note: if you don't see the x86 windows PE boot enviroment for SCCM 1.0 EN-US image listed then follow these steps first.

x86boot.jpg

On the Install Windows screen click on Browse and select the XP SP3 operating system install package we created in Part 1.

sp3_install_package.jpg

Input your product key and make sure to enable the local Administrator account,

install_windows.jpg

Configure Network

Here we need to enter our network configuration and click next, choose Join Workgroup (recommended best practise). Although joining the domain will work just fine you may have GPO's in place, or startup scripts (login scripts) etc which may taint your master image, keeping it off the domain will keep it clean.

on the Install ConfigMgr screen, browse to the Predefined ConfigMgr Client Package we created earlier

client_package.jpg

install_config.jpg

for the Updates and Software screens choose don't install any (ie: next, next)

for the System Preparation screen click on browse and choose the sysprep package we created earlier

sysprep.jpg

fill in the image properties

image_properties.jpg

On the Capture image screen, browse to a share on your network for copying the image to, and give the file a name

eg:

\\WIN-AE2V1IRN067\captures\xpsp3r.wim

fill in your user account for capturing the image with, I use SMSadmin

capture_image.jpg

click next, next and close at the confirmation screen

ts_done.jpg

Ok guys, I really need some help ...

So what I did: when I got the screen saying "pending for approval" I went to the WDS-server and tried to look in the folder "Pending Devices". At that point WDS stopped. I was able to restart it manually, so untill there no problem. When i wanted to check this folder again, again WDS stopped. I'm thinking there's a problem with WDS here.

So I tried removing PXE-Role, then WDS Server, rebooted the server itself, re-installed WDS, re-installed PXE role in SCCM and voila, With or without WDS configuration, it (WDS) doesn't start anymore .... I tried a couple of things I found around the net (I removed - installed PXE and WDS a dozen times),checked the register (as I found there, compared to what I found with Google the reg is correct), checked the event log and clicked further to the wonderfull MS KB, where it says that in order to solve the problem "Start WDS Services" HELLO MS!!! IT DOESNT START IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!

Could someone PLEASE help me, which logs I should show you guys, some links, or whatever stuff that could help me... please ...

Thanks guys ...

I had that problem also in the past on 3 servers which couldn't start the WDS service anymore. Look on google for a command to configure WDS service with one command-line.

Did you installed your SCCM in mixed mode or native? Look out for correct certificates on your SCCM server.

You told that your task sequence is in pending but what are the last lines it shows you?

I had that problem also in the past on 3 servers which couldn't start the WDS service anymore. Look on google for a command to configure WDS service with one command-line.

Did you installed your SCCM in mixed mode or native? Look out for correct certificates on your SCCM server.

You told that your task sequence is in pending but what are the last lines it shows you?

Hi Kingskawn, thanks for putting up with me ...

As for everything I checked, SCCM is installed fine (mixed mode), I don't think that certificates are the problem.

I've also tried configuring WDS in command line "wdsutil /initialize-server ......" It just doesn't start, it even doesn't configure or initialize WDS from a command line.

But I just found something on the net looking for something else: error was 0x32, which is "not sufficient rights" ?? I didn't change a thing when re-installing WDS and the PXE-role point, so I don't have a clue why this error shows up.

Here's the quote :

"I scoured the web and couldn't find anything till I searched the error code 0x32 and found it was for insufficient rights.So I changed the WDS logon account to a domain admin's account and tried to run the wds service and it ran perfectly. I then changed it back to the normal system account and its all running perfectly again.

Hopefully this saves someone loads of time that I lost trying to fix a basic error

Gregg"

Ok, let's try that! But where the hull do i find or change the WDS-logon account (in fact, what IS the WDS-logon account)? I've put our domain admins, enterprise admins, sccm-server, smsread, smsadmin as Full Control on system management container in AD; gave full rights to the same users on my SCCM server (that includes SQL, WDS, DHCP). I don't know what more I can do ...

Thanks again for your help!!

Hello All,

Ok, i got my WDS running again ..... I was just about to re-install the whole server ...

Little recap :

errors where: 0x32, 0x41B,

Event 257: An error occurred trying to start the Windows Deployment Services server.

Event 258: An error occurred trying to start the Windows Deployment Services image server.

Event 266: An error occurred while to refreshing settings.

Event 513: An error occurred trying to initialize provider WDSImgSrv from C:\Windows\system32\WdsImgSrv.dll. Windows Deployment Services server will be shutdown.

Start of the problems:

Uninstalled WDS, removed PXE role from SCCM, (reboot), re-installed WDS, re-installed PXE --> unable to start WDS again ...

Solution that worked for me:

Remove PXE role

Uninstall WDS

Reboot

Removed my server from AD (put in in a workgroup)

Deleted my (SCCM) server-account from AD

Reboot

Then I ran CCleaner, deleted all program and Register issues

Reboot

Put the (SCCM) server back into our Domain

Install WDS

Install PXE role

Intialized WDS with command line which gave me the same error as before

Open Windows Deployment Services, Properties:

Respond to all (known and unknown)computers, delay 5 sec

Obtain IP from DHCP

Do not listen on port 67, Configure DHCP option to 60 'PXEClient'

Started the WDS service and off it goes!!!

I read that a lot of people have a problem with this, and i think it's a bug somewhere. I don't think it's a user-related problem.

I hope that people can use these steps I took to make it run again, and don't lose precious time as I did.

So now my client gets a DHCP-address again, but now I get Kingskawn 3rd screen (Windows failed to start).

Before fixing that, I'm going to take an ghost-image of my server so that if i have this or another problem I'll just need to put the image back.

Cheers!

Ok, I got my OSD working! For XP deployment that is ... I always got the message that the boot wasn't the correct one.

But first try, my computer crashed and had to re-install it ...

Solution:

Use the "Boot Image (x86)" in stead of the "x86 Windows PE Boot Environment for SCCM ..."

It started immediately after I choose that one ...

As for the crash: i put a VM's MAC address in the computer association, and I think SCCM prepped my machine with a fatal error .... I double checked the MAC, and saw that I did put the VM's MAC, not mine ... My machine wasn't even in the collection I choose for the OSD.

see here

I have a customer who wants to deploy XP SP3 to mulitple desktops of varying hardware specs. They only want one XP Image however and use the task sequence to deploy the drivers. Should I build and caputre XP to a WIM file or should i use the XP source files instead for deployment?

I would Build and Capture XP to a WIM, main reason is that it will deploy much quicker.

Hi, Thanks for the reply. They have 6 differnet desktop hardware however and are keen to avoid 6 wim's - one for type (I have done it this way before and works great). They want to have a single gold image. Is this possible?

thanks in advance