anyweb

how can I deploy Windows XP SP3 using SCCM 2007 SP1 - Part 2

Question

This guide assumes you have installed SCCM 2007 SP1 and then configured it as outlined here in Part 1 you must then do the additional configuration outlined in Part 2, and you must have completed the final configuration tasks in Part 3. Lastly you must be able to deploy an application using SCCM 2007

In addition to the above you must have completed Part 1 of this guide

Create the Task Sequence

right click on Task Sequences and choose New Task Sequence

new_ts.jpg

choose the second option (Build and Capture a reference operating system image)

build_and_capture.jpg

fill in your Task Sequence Information

build_and_capture_ts.jpg

click browse and select our X86 boot image

Note: if you don't see the x86 windows PE boot enviroment for SCCM 1.0 EN-US image listed then follow these steps first.

x86boot.jpg

On the Install Windows screen click on Browse and select the XP SP3 operating system install package we created in Part 1.

sp3_install_package.jpg

Input your product key and make sure to enable the local Administrator account,

install_windows.jpg

Configure Network

Here we need to enter our network configuration and click next, choose Join Workgroup (recommended best practise). Although joining the domain will work just fine you may have GPO's in place, or startup scripts (login scripts) etc which may taint your master image, keeping it off the domain will keep it clean.

on the Install ConfigMgr screen, browse to the Predefined ConfigMgr Client Package we created earlier

client_package.jpg

install_config.jpg

for the Updates and Software screens choose don't install any (ie: next, next)

for the System Preparation screen click on browse and choose the sysprep package we created earlier

sysprep.jpg

fill in the image properties

image_properties.jpg

On the Capture image screen, browse to a share on your network for copying the image to, and give the file a name

eg:

\\WIN-AE2V1IRN067\captures\xpsp3r.wim

fill in your user account for capturing the image with, I use SMSadmin

capture_image.jpg

click next, next and close at the confirmation screen

ts_done.jpg

I want to capture a XP SP3 reference machine and created myself a customized sysprep.inf file. My steps are pretty much the ones outlined in the screens in this post for capturing the reference machine.

But like one of my aforementioned posters I'm still confused how the capture process SHOULD look like. Booting to PXE is not required to capture the image, fine. What about the sccm client? I read that it shoudln't be installed prior to running the capture task sequence. But how do you assign the task sequence to the reference machine then?

Maybe it's worth to mention that I haven't installed MDT yet? Shouldn't be needed for capturing a reference machine though, right?

capture the WIM on a virtual machine (hyperv or vmware) then have a driver group which has steps in it, each step is based on a wmi query to detect for some hardware model, if found then an apply driver package is initiated, if not it's ignored

see these posts for ideas

how can I target applications (and drivers) to specific hardware?

target hardware

How can I create a driver package

I want to capture a XP SP3 reference machine and created myself a customized sysprep.inf file. My steps are pretty much the ones outlined in the screens in this post for capturing the reference machine.

But like one of my aforementioned posters I'm still confused how the capture process SHOULD look like. Booting to PXE is not required to capture the image, fine. What about the sccm client? I read that it shoudln't be installed prior to running the capture task sequence. But how do you assign the task sequence to the reference machine then?

Maybe it's worth to mention that I haven't installed MDT yet? Shouldn't be needed for capturing a reference machine though, right?

You can capture the machine in a few ways, one way is to build a Task Sequence to take your raw Windows files you have on your SCCM server and then use these files to build a reference machine through SCCM. SCCM will install Windows XP onto your reference machine (physical or virtual) and then it will install the SCCM agent which will allow any software packages you have built into your TS to be installed and then it will capture the machine and upload a .Wim file to the specified location. You need to ensure that the machine has not been added to the domain as this adds extra files and it is not good on your reference machine. In this TS you will have created a Sysprep package and your custom sysprep.inf file will go in this package so SCCM can sysprep the machine before it captures an image.

Not all of the software I want to have on my base image will install through SCCM so I use a build TS and then I remove the capture part so SCCM does most of my work. Once this completes I have a base machine with a lot of my needed software on it and then I log in (make sure to use no password on the Administrator account or sysprep will fail) and install whatever extra software I need. I make all of my customizations to the Administrator account to create the default account (add 'UpdateServerProfileDirectory=1' without the quotes under [unattended] to capture the default profile) and then I run sysprep.exe and have it seal the OS and shut the machine down. I then boot the machine with my Windows PE CD and then use Imagex to capture the image which I manually upload to the server.

That's the short of it, I leave the SCCM agent in the machine and when it gets pulled down from SCCM it re-configures the agent and no problems with it after this. If you don't want the agent in the reference machine just use 'ccmclean.exe' from the SCCM toolkit to clean out the agent.

After being moved over Windows 7 I need to make a new XP 'gold' image but I encounter some difficulties.

I based everything on the build&capture. I install a list of software during build:

Install .net 1.1 SP1

Install .net 3.5 SP1

Restart Computer

Install Win Management Framework Core

WindowsInstall 4.5

Install Directx 9c

Restart Computer

Install Visual++ 2005+

Install Visual++ Redist 2005 SP1

Install Visual++ Redist 2008 SP1

Install Visual++ Redist 2010

Install Silverlight

Install MSXML

Install IE7

Restart Computer

Install XMLParser 6

Install Windows Update Agent

Restart Computer

After that I install all ms updates and launch a script that creates some folders, deletes some too and add trace32 and robocopy to system32

The capture sequence is another TS because I change some parameters at logon of Administrator, then I copy the administrator profile to the default user to have quicklaunch and other things right.

Then I launch the capture and when I use this captured image it always reboots after Os has been copied.

use sysprep to configure all those settings in your image before capturing it

ie: place a file called sysprep.inf with your chosen settings into your Sysprep package for XP,

this sysprep package will be used as part of the build and capture process

I have been following your guide and works soo well, but I am confused with the sysprep part here. How do you configure the sysyprep here. once the system reboot, I don't see any sysprep folder file in the system. I have been looking out for this, and some guide says to use minisetup from sysprep.exe and this will get captured with the required setting. Can you explain this a bit more please

Hello ,

First of all awesome site for SCCM stuffs. I am the new member of this site.

Actually i am working as a SCCM Admin in a company and right now i am the only one who manageing the site .

I am facing the challange which will come on me after few days. A new site is opening for my company and there is approx 90 new computers (bare matel) are there and i have to deploy new OS (XP/WIN7) on all the new systems.

Please guide me for the complete process of deployment of OSD both XP/win7 on system . I want to deploy this through unknown computer support.

Masters ! kindly guide me for OSD on all system without adding MAC address of one by one system.

Please reply at earliest.

Thanks

Animesh Shankar