anyweb

geeks guide to XP hal replacement

Question

Johan Arwidmark posted this .

in his own words....

Here is an article (step-by-step guide) on how to keep a single image for Windows XP deployment, across HAL types, also known as HAL Replacement. Sample scripts for detecting the HAL type from WinPE and update sysprep.inf with the correct info is provided with this article (provided AS IS).

The scripts are now (2008-10-01) updated with support for both WinPE 2005 and WinPE 2.1 as well as Windows XP SP3 (which works with HAL slightly different than XP SP2). Support for SCCM 2007 was also added.

Download sample scripts

http://www.deployvista.com/Repository/tabi...US/Default.aspx

This script updates sysprep.inf with correct HAL Type

The Reference (master) image should have an Advanced ACPI HAL type.

This script assumes the following files are being present in C:\Drivers\UniProcHAL

hal.dll (Rename from halaacpi.dll to hal.dll)

ntkrnlpa.exe

ntoskrnl.exe

8 answers to this question

So the only thing to do (next to executing the script) is putting 3 files in c:\drivers\UniProcHAL ? I thought I can change my wim file when I mount it?

I came across with this on WDS deployment aswell where is had the chance the Hal on my win xp image. I just copied that same dll to the right folder in the win xp image and after that deploying was succesfull. Now about that script. Do you still have it cause the link you provided is dead. And actually it does seem like a nice solution.

I was about to post thatone here to. Thx anyway.

Also one quick question related to the HAL. I see you have a manual for deploying WIN XP SP3 with source files into a OS Package. Once you deploy and that he makes the image. I assume we will have to just make those folders and try to do a recapture with making a task sequence to capture an image?