GPITMAN

Same Site Code Ahhhh

We have building out our new SCCM 2012, we had it in our R&D and everything was wonderful, the person I have been working with to do the install seemed to know what she was doing, very cautious.

BUT, when she did the install in production she used the same site code, even though I had told her to use a new one, actually the same as we had used in the R&D

We had not planned to do a migration, we planned to start from scratch and push out the new client as well as re add all our software and OS images, the old 2007 had a crash a few months back and has been limping along so we thought this was a better way to go.

So, what factors are going to come to play as we are not ready to make the switch yet?

Wish we could change the Site Code, be so much easier.

Thanks for any advice, comments.

Derek

well it depends on how far you've gone, for example does this site have permissions delegated in AD for the system management container ?

probably the best thing to do would be to uninstall the site (control panel, select Configuration Manager... in Programs/features and uninstall it...) wait for it to completely uninstall before rebooting, then start again.

Quick question on site code, and side by side. In your lab environment, do you have everything completely seperate? i.e. different domain, no network connectivity?

I wanted to do a side by side lab, to pull in all of our myriad task sequences and apps, but then I wanted to throw everything away when I was done, and start over. But I was worried about overlap with the AD System Management Container (they'll be different site codes). Is there going to be a problem with that site container if I'm using ABC for 2007 production, DEF for 2012 lab, GHI for 2012 production? I'm being careful about IP boundaries etc... just not sure about AD...

Quick question on site code, and side by side. In your lab environment, do you have everything completely seperate? i.e. different domain, no network connectivity?

I wanted to do a side by side lab, to pull in all of our myriad task sequences and apps, but then I wanted to throw everything away when I was done, and start over. But I was worried about overlap with the AD System Management Container (they'll be different site codes). Is there going to be a problem with that site container if I'm using ABC for 2007 production, DEF for 2012 lab, GHI for 2012 production? I'm being careful about IP boundaries etc... just not sure about AD...

I think you should be fine. When you uninstall a site, SCCM automatically removes anything it has put in the System Management container. I've double-checked this when I uninstalled a site last week.

Thanks, After thinking it through again, I'm probably just going to start with a Side by side, and then keep that going forward. I have a home lab if I want to try something crazy. Most of the work in our migration is going to be migrating packages, task sequences, and I'm just going to use a new site code and nomenclature to differentiate; i.e. from NY-SCCM to NY-CM . Thanks

Hi,

I accidentally installed SCCM 2012 SP1 as a primary site server using the same site code as my old SCCM 2012.

I do not plan to use the old SCCM 2012 because there is something wrong with the database and I want to start from scratch.

I've already given permission to the System Management container and it seems the new server has overwritten the old server settings.

Does anyone know what the implications are ? Should I uninstall the old server and the new server and start again?

I would like to keep the old server running so I can manually migrate my packages and tasks.

Thank you