fastford

Software\Application Updates

Question

Please Help! I am new to SCCM (and these forums) and could use some help with deploying software. I have 2 questions. Thanks in advance for any help.

1- I have set up a package that is being advertised to a collection that installs an application. This application recieves updates and maintenance releases all the time. What is the easiest way to address the deploying the updates? The client computers must have the original package installed for the update to run.

2- I have several applications that, after they install...they need an license file copied to a specific directory on the local computer. How can accomplish this?

6 answers to this question

Well, there are always multiple approaches possible.

1) create a new package for the update containg the msp file and a script wrapper. The script performs a wmi query to check if the base package is installed and if the latest patch is already applied. Then it conditionally launches the install.

You can do the same via a task seqence if you are not into scripting.

2) You can create a transforms file and add the license file dircet to the installer package, but only if it is an MSI installer. You need a packaging program for this though.

You could also use a script wrapper which performs the install and copies the license file to the destination, if the installation has been successful.

... or, you can create a task sequence which performs the installation a sfirst step and copies the files as second step.

Scripting is not a strong suite of mine. If I use a task sequence to update already installed applications...how would the layout be? If i use it to copy a file over after an install how would i accomplish that?

Thanks for the reply.

For updating of already deployed installations, you would actually only need a single step in your task sequence. First create a package with the update and a program to install the update.

Then create your task sequence and add a "install software" step. Chose your update package as source.

In the options tab of this step add a "WMI query" which defines when this step is going to be executed. Here you could actually query 4 different WMI classes.

I prefer the SMS_InstalledSoftware class in the Namespace root\cimv2\sms , because the other 3 have some disadvantages.

The query would look like this:

SELECT * From SMS_InstalledSoftware WHERE ProductCode = '{productcode}' AND ProductVersion != 'productversion'

... where the productversion has to be the version of your patch.

Regarding the license file question. Just put the license file in the source folder of your package. The create a new program in your package to copy the file using the xcopy command.

xcopy ".\filename" "DSTINATIONPATH" /y /s

In the advanced tab chose to run another program first and pick your install program from the package. Also tick the "always run first" checkbox. Then advertise the copy command instead of the install command.