Sir_Timbit

Multiple PXE service points

Question

Hi there, hoping for some clarification on the use of PXE service points in SCCM 2007. I'm pretty new to SCCM and have been tasked with migrating from Ghost/Fog to SCCM / MDT2010 for our imaging/OSD tasks. This is for a school environment, with a reasonably fast WAN connection and each school on its own subnet (10.x.x.x). We've been using SCCM primarily for application deployment and some basic reporting so far. Just getting our feet wet really.

Each school has its own Ghost or Fog server that handled imaging at that location. Currently we have a pretty basic setup--one primary SCCM site server at our distric office that all schools connect to. Each school has its own site system as seen in SCCM; a server or a share for the DP. Boundaries have been set up for each school on the server. Currently the main site server handles all roles including the PXE service point. There's about 7000 PCs altogether spread throughout the district.

SCCM2007 is currently running on WIndows 2003 (unfortunately, as I've read here that this complicates things with multicasting) but I do have test client PCs PXEbooting after installing WDS on the SCCM server. (I had to configure the DHCP scope options for 66/67 though...)

So with all that background, I'm wondering how best to configure each school for PXEbooting for OSD. Is it as simple as just adding WDS to each school's Win2008 server, configure DHCP options 66/67, and then configuring SCCM to add the PXE service role to each location? The technet article at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb680869.aspx says up to 10 PXE service points are supported per site, up to 75 per primary site database. I have about 30 schools to configure, so obviously that's more than the 10 PXE service points per site but less than the 75. I'm not sure about the difference between the two.

FInally, with regards to multicasting issues with Win2003, my understanding is I could move WDS to a Win2008 box and configure that as a PXE service point, to get around whatever limitations Win2003 and WDS have with multicasting.

Hope I've clarified things. Thanks in advance.

Sir_Timbit

1 answer to this question