r00724

PXE Boot Problems

Hello,

I just created my lab for SCCM 2012 by using the fantastice guies provided by windows noob. I was able to setup everything correctly including instalation of applications to a new machine etc.

However I am no having problems with OSD specifically booting my VMs (Hyper-V) through PXE to install OS. Basically the VM just never boots up. I have 2 VMs running 1 for CAS adn 1 for primary just as suggested in the guides. Looks like I have everythign in place, both boot images are published on distribution point, DP itself has teh PXE enabled Not sure where the problems lies and what do I look at to troubleshoot.

My SCCM primary server does not have a DHCP role installed. The DHCP is running on my router. Not sure if that info helps

Any help wuold be greatly appreciated

Thanks

When you network-boot your VM, how far does it actually get? Do you recieve an IP, can you see it downloading the WDSNBP-file and trying to contact the SCCM-server?

If not, how is the WDS-service looking on your PXE-server (is it running?).

Also, check the SMSPXE.log under "<installDrive>:\Program FIles\SMS_CCM\Logs"

If WDS is looking fine, have you deployed your TS to a collection were you know the VM is a member (like all uknown computers), and is the "make avaialbe to boot media and PXE" checkbox active under "deployment settings" for the advertisement/deployment of the TS?

Thanks for the sugesstion guys, I tried what you guys sugessted and seems like everything is working fine now. Here's what I did:

I installed DHCP server on the SCCM primary

I removed the default network card from the VM and added the legacy network adapter.

What I am not sure about is, what made it working? Installing the DHCP or adding a legacy network adapter. Whats different from the earlier situation is that now I only have the legacy network adapter in the settings enabled.

How do I check what triggered it to make it working?

UPDATE: I confirmed that the DHCP running on my SCCM primary server is the one who is assigning the IP to the unknown VM I am trying to image. So I guess that means something is not setup correctly on my primay SCCM server because the way I understand is that you do not need a DHCP server installed in order for the PXE to work (correct me if I am wrong)?

I cannot PXE boot my VM machine and my knowledge to troubleshoot these PXE errors is very limited. I've done quite a bit of searching, but I could come up with an issue. I can tell the machine is hitting the PXE server because the errors below show up while the computer is trying to connect. I think it might be a permission error so I made sure everyone had read access to the sources and remoteinstall folder.

Here are the errors I am getting: