hans.swolfs

Activating Windows 7 at the end of OSD TS

Question

hey guys,

I'm finalizing the deployment of our new Windows 7 machines...

There is 1 thing left that isn't working and that is the activation part.

I have the correct instructions using cscript to call slmgr.vbs to enter the product key and to activate but the activation fails with error 0x8004fe92 and according to MS KB2009934 this would indicate one of the following :

Microsoft has identified three potential causes of this error code.

• Incorrect KMS Client product key is being used.
  • Insufficent number of KMS Clients on the network to allow KMS Activation.
  • Internet Activation process is unable to contact Microsoft's Internet Activation Server.

We aren't using KMS but MAK so the first 2 don't go. Number 3 is then causing the problem and I suppose that our ISA SERVER is blocking the activation because the ISA client isn't installed during TS but via GPO on first login.

Would it help to install the ISA client during the OSD TS to have successfull activation or how do you guys take care of this?

Cheers,

Hans

6 answers to this question

OK, in my steps figuring out how KMS works, I have entered the wrong key for Windows 7 deployment. I used the one I found via the Volume License website but that key is used to enable your Windows 7 as a KMS host which is not what I want off course :)

I have found this key has more succes :

33PXH-7Y6KF-2VJC9-XBBR8-HVTHH (Win 7 enterprise) but now I have to make sure that I have 25 clients connecting to my KMS before they are actually activated but that won't be a problem as we will be rolling out 30+ new computers.