anyweb

how can I change computername using Windows SIM

Question

4 answers to this question

Thanks for providing all this help, I would like to ask a question about PC Username. With RIS you could set it so that it asked you what you wanted to call the PC before you loaded the image, can this also be done with WSIM. What I would like to be able to do is be able to name the PC's before deploying the image. I hope you can help with this, as you have helped a lot so far, I can't thank-you enough.... Sorry if I am posting so much... but of all the web-sites I have been on, you are the only one that seems to understand this subject ;)

if you want it to prompt for computername then remove the <ComputerName></ComputerName> line from your xml.

Hi just discovered that this needs to be altered in the sysprep.sif file too :blink:

Hello Anyweb

I was wondering if I could pick your brains?

I've an unattended xml file which is working lovely, thanks to all the step by step guides you have on this site. Concerning the naming, we are planning on carrying out a hardware refresh to around 30 ish of our sites, each with 4 PC's. To avoid naming conflicts on our domain, I've been trying to get the ComputerName field to point to the Dell service tag of the machine. I've tried %ServiceTag% and %SerialNumber% in the computer name field, but neither of them work. This step is ignored.

Is this possible, can I point the WSIM to pick up the Dell service tag / serial number?

My thanks in advance.

Cheers

Dave