Lotheron

SCCM2012OSD: Computer Name shows up as MINIIT-XXXXXX even when known

Question

As the title says, the ComputerName.vbs and scripts of the like that work in 2007 do not seem to be working in 2012.

MDT Task sequence, running Gather and %OSDComputerName% is being set to MININT-XXXXXX even though the computer is already known by SCCM and I'm reimaging the machine.

Any thoughts?

Edit: Just noticed that I could have put this thread in a better spot.. sorry about that. :(

4 answers to this question

Follow this....it works a treat.....SCCM will only name unknown computers to the MININT-XXXXXX that you are experiencing....If you attach this script to the TS after the partitoning of the disk and before the apply image it will prompt you to enter in a name for your bare metal machine(s)...thus preventing the MININT-XXXXXX naming convention.......You can leave the script attached to the TS all the time because if SCCM knows the name of the machine (already in the DB) then it will bypass the script and hold on the origional name of the machine(s)

http://t3chn1ck.word...me-in-sccm-osd/

Rocket Man

Follow this....it works a treat.....SCCM will only name unknown computers to the MININT-XXXXXX that you are experiencing....If you attach this script to the TS after the partitoning of the disk and before the apply image it will prompt you to enter in a name for your bare metal machine(s)...thus preventing the MININT-XXXXXX naming convention.......You can leave the script attached to the TS all the time because if SCCM knows the name of the machine (already in the DB) then it will bypass the script and hold on the origional name of the machine(s)

http://t3chn1ck.word...me-in-sccm-osd/

Rocket Man

That is the script that I've been using, however, that runs after my front end so the system stays MININT. I use it as a final verification that the system name has been named by the tech. However, I have extra options available to systems within the CM database (backup, USMT, etc), so when a system shows up as unknown, the only option is to image it as a unknown computer.

When using dynamic site media, the OSDComputerName variable will not populate. When using site-based media, it does populate as expected, with the system name from the CM Database.