spraino

Boot images getting renamed after injecting drivers

So every time I inject drivers into my x64 boot image, it ends up getting renamed. And it's done this several times before, apparently.

If I browse to \\sccm\SMS_GSU\OSD\boot\x64, the boot image will be named "boot.GSU00002.wim".

I will right-click on a driver in the driver store, tell it to add to the boot image, check the box to update the distribution point when finished, and when all is said and done the file will then be named "boot.GSU00002.GSU00002.wim" and the boot image entry in SCCM is now pointing at a file that doesn't exist.

This has happened several times and it keeps tacking on a "GSU00002" to the boot file name every time.

Anyone have an idea of what's going on?

I haven't seen that behavior before when importing new drivers but the symptoms look similar to when you build a new wim in a directory where a previous wim exists. In other words you might have some sort of file lock on the wim you are injecting the new driver to. By chance do you have that folder open in Explorer or some other application (or someone/something) else have that share open?

It's possible that someone else has an explorer window open at that location, but it's been my experience that explorer windows don't count as "using" the file, and any changes to files in that location should just update for anyone looking at it.

SCCM should be the only thing using that file. Is it possible that SCCM is "touching" it at the moment I'm attempting to update the file?