narcoticmind

Refresh scenario of Windows XP with SCCM 2012 fails on domain rejoin

Question

Having weird issue on refresh scenario of Windows XP OSD with SCCM 2012.

For some odd reason, during the WinPE phase, TimeZone or Time is changed and differs from the domain time +10 hours,

therefore re-joining the domain doesn't work.

Fresh install works correctly, haven't seen this kind of behaviour with Windows 7 or Windows 2008 R2.

Does anyone know any solution to this kind of problem? I haven't gotten any info from the net... :/

1 answer to this question

Early in the build the time is indeed set to the future! I though this was a problem too and was causing failed domain joins but it's not that.

If you run a command prompt where it has failed, the computer name is still MINI-NTxxxx - in our build and probably yours, we join specific OU's based on the computer name and it will fail if it's not the proper name e.g. WS12345.

I think this is a bug in 2012. When it fails, the computer record in SCCM looks fine, i.e. not obsolete or grey, I have deleted the computer from AD and SCCM, deleted an unknown recrod and checked for duplicate MAC addresses. I have left it for days but the same computer can fail to build / rename. We have no control over the rename process, it should just work so I'm going to log a Premier support call on this as it's a big issue. It would be interesting if anyone else can replicate i.e. is the computer still called MINI-NTxxxx when a failed domian join occurs.