anyweb

how can I configure WSUS to deploy updates

Question

This guide assumes that you intend on using WSUS to deploy updates and that you have already installed it as outlined here.

NOTE: this post is NOT FINISHED YET so it is INCOMPLETE

Note: If you intend on using SCCM 2007 to deploy updates using the WSUS integration then do NOT do any of the steps here.

The instructions here also assume that your network runs Active Directory and that you use Group Policy to manage your network. For more information about Group Policy, see Microsofts Group Policy home page. You can configure one or more computers by including them in a Group Policy object (GPO). By configuring Automatic Updates using Group Policy, these settings will take precedence over any settings that are defined locally on the computers within your Domain.

Note: You should Link this WSUS GPO to an Active Directory container appropriate for your environment. In a simple environment, you link a single WSUS GPO to the domain. In a more complex environment, you might link multiple WSUS GPOs to different organizational units (OUs).

Start the Group Policy Management MMC and highlight your domain as in the screenshot below.

group_policy_management.jpg

Right-click the domain and choose Create a GPO in this domain, and link it here

create_gpo.jpg

When the New Group Policy Object window appears, give it a name like WSUS GPO and click OK

gpo_name.jpg

right click on our new GPO and choose Edit

edit.jpg

expand Policies then click and highlight Administrative Templates. Before you can configure WSUS group policy settings you should load the latest version of the administrative template, wuau.adm. Right click on Administrative Templates and choose Add/Remove Templates, click on the Add button and scroll down to the bottom until you can see the wuau.adm file. Select the file and click Open and close.

Now that you have loaded the wuau.adm template, you are ready to expand Windows Components.

expand.jpg

Scroll down to Windows Update and enable the following options (circled in Red)

wsus_gpo.jpg

Automatic Updates are now enabled, but before the computers can receive updates from the WSUS server we need to configure the following group policy setting:

Specify intranet Microsoft Update service location and fill in the https address of the WSUS server, so click on it and view it's properties. We have already enabled the group policy setting as in the screenshot above, however we need to enter the https address of our WSUS server, so do that in the two empty fields provided and click ok.

Startup WSUS

wsus.jpg

• Like 1

8 answers to this question

nice, now all you have to do is add a © windows-noob.com at the beginning of the PDF

cheers

HI,

I am using your guides to install SCCM 2007, here it mention :

Note: If you intend on using SCCM 2007 to deploy updates using the WSUS integration then do NOT do any of the steps here.

But I am intended to deploy updates using SCCM /WSUS, so please advise which guide should I follow ?

If I go for a different guide might be I can mess around my SCCM installation.

@Malik4u - You can use SCCM or WSUS to deploy the windows updates to the client machines. The above guide is required when you use WSUS and it shows how Group policy settings are configured and applied to the client machines.

If you wish to use SCCM to deploy the windows updates, click on the link : http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1064-sccm-2007-guides/

Read the posts under the topic : Deploying Windows Updates using SCCM