Deerstalker

Required application never installs

I have a script that installs just fine manually, or if I set it up as an available application. But if I make it a required application, the client tries to install it (status in Software Center changes to "Installing"), and then fails after it times out. There are no error messages in the Event Viewer, and the only errors I've found in any SCCM logs just state that the application timed out.

It seems to me that the script is waiting for a response, but I can't see how, since it works when it is an available application. I'm at a loss for how to troubleshoot. Any suggestions?

When it is installing (as a required application) check the task manager processes and see if the ccmexec.exe is running. If its not, then we know more if it is a client/server/package issue.

Also, is your advertisement for the required application setup to "run program from distribution point" or "download content from distribution point and run locally?" (Advertisement - Properties - Distribution Point tab)

The user that you have setup in sccm 2012 an administrator on the client?

Not sure what you mean: I am the logged in user on the client, and I am an administrator. But that shouldn't matter: I thought SCCM apps install using the SYSTEM user.

When it is installing (as a required application) check the task manager processes and see if the ccmexec.exe is running. If its not, then we know more if it is a client/server/package issue.

Also, is your advertisement for the required application setup to "run program from distribution point" or "download content from distribution point and run locally?" (Advertisement - Properties - Distribution Point tab)

Yep, ccmexec.exe is running.

As far as I can tell, SCCM 2012 does not give you the option of where to run from. What you're descibing is where it was in 2007, and I can't find a similar option in 2012.

Yep, ccmexec.exe is running.

Is it showing any CPU cycles running or is it idle? I.e. it normally shows usage when the local agent is installing

As far as I can tell, SCCM 2012 does not give you the option of where to run from. What you're descibing is where it was in 2007, and I can't find a similar option in 2012.

My bad. Try here: Deployment Type properties, Content tab, Deployment options “Download content from distribution point and run locally”.

I'm guessing you've already looked at this technet article: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/11447.troubleshooting-application-deployment-in-sccm-2012.aspx

I have the exact same problem. My scripts and install/uninstalls work great on XP but 64bit windows 7 fails every time I plug it into SCCM. I have read every damn article and tried every god damn setting. Basically at this point I am like fuck microsoft and going to push my uninstall by group policy since SCCM is broken.