Terence

Install Multiple Applications in a TS 50+

Question

Hello All,

Last year we deployed around 50+ applications via advertisements to a large number of pc's. The only problem was there was no way to set what installed first and if an advert failed. I would need to re-run each on on the machine it failed on.

I want to install all 50+ via a TS, i wanted to know if anyone else has done this.

I am testing many options

1. I have tired adding applications one by one to the TS.
  2. I have tired using a variable to install each applications.
  3. I have tired getting it to download all the contents first.

The testing has been pretty good so far but i would really like to see how other people are doing this and what problems they have come across.

Thanks

T

6 answers to this question

Hi,

i haven't deployed as much as 50+ but I have done is deploy around 20 with conditions on all steps to only install if the software isn't previoulsy installed.

It has worked out just fine.

regards,

Jörgen

Thanks for the reply Jorgen i have followed your work for a few years.

What is the syntax that you set for checking the app is installed.

I work for a university and will be deploying 350+ applications to over 3000 machines in the next few months. The TS will be based on application types so "Geography", "Advanced Computing", "Multimedia". The largest TS will be about 30 applications but i will be running several TS's on each machine.

Any tips would be appreciated.

If the source files are MSI it will automatically add a Detection Method (DM means it will not install again if the MSI product code is found in the registry of the client computer) when you create the application. If it's EXE you will have to manually specify a DM when you create the app. A manual DM can be, for instance, a specific folder or file in %ProgramFiles%.

• Like 1

Hi,

I use the builtin condition called "Installed software" in the Task Sequence, then you minimize the risk of typos as you can import the Product code from the MSI file.

If it isn't an MSI file you could use a registry condition, so no scripting should be needed.

It works fine!

Regards,

Jörgen

• Like 1

Configure your collections with baseline variables i:e Packages001+ package ID & Package name (Packages001:xxxxxInternetExplorer)(Packages0002:xxxxxJava) and so on...

Create a custom task sequence the edit to install application or package....choose install via baseline variable and type in packages. You can then deploy this to your different collections and depending what baseline variables you have associated with your different collections will depend on what software gets installed.

this works brilliant...there is a bit of configuration and testing to be done prior but once baseline variables are configured for collections then all you need to do is deploy the simple TS with the variable Packages.

I have collections that require different software for example some may need x software and others may need y software and some may need both, so if it is defined in the collection baseline then any software that is associated with the collection will be installed via the Packages TS.... you can then add the TS to your OSD TS if you wish at time of operating system deployment (considering testing has been carried out and that the sequence of the software installs works + also some software needs to be downloaded first while others can run direct from DP)

It's a tedious job of elimination but worth it in the long run..

• Like 1