davidstonar

Capture Windows 7 PC Fails with Error 0x80004005

Hi,

I have managed to capture a Windows 7 machine using a create task sequence media, the reference PC was a vanila machine and all went ok. However if I add anything to the pc and try to take a image ie, office installed various software the task sequence then fails with an error 0x00004005. Ive tried looking for the smsts.log but cannot find it on the PC so unsure where to look as to why its failing. Ive tried capturing to a local drive in case of access rights but still fails! Whats frustrating is that it did work! nothings changed apart from a couple days (weekend) Any ideas?

Hi David,

When I was playing around with OSD I had split my tasks up into a "Deploy task" and "Caputre task" so I could do some tweaks in between. I found that with the capture I was initially trying to run this from PXE which kept failing when in fact I needed to run it from the software portal.

I don't remember the error I was getting but it may be similar to what you are experiencing.

Hi,

I have managed to capture a Windows 7 machine using a create task sequence media, the reference PC was a vanila machine and all went ok. However if I add anything to the pc and try to take a image ie, office installed various software the task sequence then fails with an error 0x00004005. Ive tried looking for the smsts.log but cannot find it on the PC so unsure where to look as to why its failing. Ive tried capturing to a local drive in case of access rights but still fails! Whats frustrating is that it did work! nothings changed apart from a couple days (weekend) Any ideas?

you really need to find the smsts.log file, have you checked in x:\windows\temp\smstslog ? what point does it fail at ?

I am now getting this error when trying to capture Win 7 x64 using Capture Media. Before I was receiving an 0x800704CF error and found an post on the forums that mentioned it and said it was a write permissions issue with where the image is going to be stored even though it was a domain admin account with full control. The suggestion was to capture to an external drive. I tried this and now am receiving the 0x80004005 error. I'll try to post my smsts.log

you really need to find the smsts.log file, have you checked in x:\windows\temp\smstslog ? what point does it fail at ?

To find this log, you need to have cmd prompt enabled when pxe booting.

Software Library > Boot Images > Select Boot Image > Properties > Customization > Enable Command Support (Testing Only)

When on the client, you are in the 'sccm install menu' (if I may call it that way), hit F8 and a cmd prompt opens.

Navigate to x:\windows\temp\smstslog to view the log.

you might want to copy the log file to another computer for easy reviewing, as SCCM tries to reboot the client in 15 minutes.

TIP: you can use the cmdlet "net use z: \\sccmserver\share" to create a network mapping