jvargas

USMT 4.0 Custom Folders

Hi everybody

I just encountered an issue while trying to capture and restore custom folders / data with USMT 4.0 in combination of a SCCM2012 state migration point.

The capturing task works quite well, I suppose.

At least all the settings I did and wanted to capture got captured and restored again from WinXP into Win7.

Well, so far the success story ...

Since I need to capture more data (Outlook signatures in this first case), I read the documentation on how to do this and created a custom XML-File:

<migration urlid="http://www.microsoft.com/migration/1.0/migxmlext/testmigration">
<component type="Documents" context="UserAndSystem">
<displayName>Copy Files from XP Folder A to Win7 Folder B</displayName>
<role role="Data">
<rules>
 <include>
 <objectSet>
	 <script>MigXmlHelper.GenerateUserPatterns ("File","%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\* [*]","TRUE")</script>
 </objectSet>
 </include>
 <locationModify script="MigXmlHelper.Move ('%CSIDL_PPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\')">
 <objectSet>
	 <script>MigXmlHelper.GenerateDrivePatterns ("* [*]","Fixed")</script>
 </objectSet>
 </locationModify>
</rules>
</role>
</component>
</migration>

Quite simple job, basically. Get the files of the WinXP-Client and restore them back to the Win7-Client to a different location.

To my understanding, this should work. But actually, it doesn't :(

Consulting the loadstate-logfile, I unfortunately did not see any errors correlating with the "Copy Files from XP Folder A to Win7 Folder B"-Section.

Any help is appreciated :)

Cheers and thanks in advance

JV

Hi Peter

Thank you very much for your answer.

I was throwing an eye on the RelativeMove also, but initially ignored it since I wasn't sure if I could use variables in this combination.

So just out of the blue and interpreted in context of my basic idea, this would look like this:

<locationModify script="MigXmlHelper.RelativeMove('%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\’, '%CSIDL_PROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook’)">
  <objectSet>
     <pattern type="File”>%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\* [*]</pattern>
  </objectSet>
</locationModify>

I surely will give it a try!

And I surely will keep you posted on this!

Yes, sure :) I just posted the changed part, the include part is still as posted above in the first post.

Would there be any reason the captured files get skipped when the destination folder does not exist?

Because the path "%CSIDL_PROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook" does not exist just after setting up Win7.