jseth

MDT 2010 - Error: 500 = Variable is undefined

Question

I'm having a problem that just appeared using MDT 2010 Update1. I'm using LTI, and all was working well. I had SkipTaskSequenceID=YES, so I would enter the task sequence I wanted to run manually in the customsettings.ini file. Suddenly the images started failing. I found that the Minint folder was remaining, While I was trying to figure out why this was occuring, I decided to try setting the SkipTaskSequenceID=NO and try the menu selection, but that would cause the image to throw an error right at the very end, which at least gave me something to look at. It is trying to run the litetouch.vbs again, and when it gets to where it tries to run DeployWiz_Definition_ENU.xml, it says "Error: 500 - Variable is undefined". I have found about 5 different things that other people have resolved the issue with but none of their resolutions have worked for me. Previously to this issue appearing, the images deployed flawlessly. It is now happening with every image I deploy, so I am thinking that it could be a corrupt file. One post said that "the function that throws an error is in file DeployWiz_Initialization.vbs. Restore DeployWiz_Definition_ENU.xml and DeployWiz.vbs from backup and see if that helps." I don't have these files "in backup". Would you have any additional insight into this? I ran the litetouch.vbs manually at the command prompt and copied the results which shows where the error occured and attached the file, I don't know if that will be any help. Thank you for any help you can provide.

error.txt

1 answer to this question

In your attached file is the line:

Property ImageFlags is now =

This would usually state what SKU of the OS you are installing (Enterprise, Standard, etc...). More information on this can be found in the MDT help files. Search for DeployWiz_Initialization.vbs, and it will tell you to look for the DeployWiz_Initialization.log or the BDD.log file to see the exact error message.

According to this article, the logs are stored in x:\minint\smsosd\osdlogs, c:\minint\smsosd\osdlogs, or c:\windows\temp\deploymentlogs, depending on where the deployment fails.

You can also collect your logs automatically in the Deployment share by setting the SLShare= setting in the customsettings.ini file. The SLShare setting information can also be found in the help files.

Hope this helps,

David

Windows Outreach Team - IT Pro