ThatOneGuy

HTA Blank screen

Question

So I've been taking the first steps in creating an HTA for our environment. We do not have MDT integration set up, so I'm following the instructions in this post http://myitforum.com...nt-end-hta.aspx to try to set up a frontend. In summary, I just add HTA support to the image and create a tsconfig.ini file that invokes the file. I then go through and add HTA support to the boot image and configure a TS to use that image when it reboots. (It's a x64 boot image, by the way.)

The problem is that when the computer PXE boots, I see the PXE password screen (as usual), and after I enter the password, a blank white window appears with the title of my HTA. It sits around there until I close the window, and then it proceeds to the task sequence selection window. It's as if the boot image doesn't support HTA scripts, even though I explicitly added that capability through dism.

Most people that use HTAs seem to have MDT integrated. Can anyone help me get this standalone feature working?

Thanks in advance! :)

4 answers to this question

are you sure you are using the right boot image ? have you tried pressing F8 and running the HTA using mshta.exe bla.hta ?

Thank you for the reply. :) I'm quite sure I'm using the right boot image; I've checked the filesystem on the PE drive and confirmed that my hta is there.

It does load successfully from the command line using mshta X:\Deploy\Scripts\import-0_1.hta.

Here's the contents of my tsconfig.ini file:

[CustomHook]
CommandLine="mshta.exe x:\Deploy\Scripts\import_0_1.hta"

Sorry for the belated response. I was FINALLY able to resolve the issue. :D In case anyone else has this issue, the blank screen I described it means that mshta.exe is running, but it's unable to find the HTA file it was asked to run.

Here's the TSconfig.ini file that ended up working for me:

[CustomHook]
CommandLine="%systemroot%\system32\mshta.exe %systemdrive%\import.hta"

@Lucid - thanks for the reminder about the hyphen; that was part of the problem. I renamed them both to just import.hta so I wouldn't have that problem any more.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Edit - forgot to mention that I also moved the HTA to the root of the drive. It's easier to maintain that way, especially since I use a couple of images.