drew.sartorius

PXE stuck at contacting server after un/re-install

A while back I was having some issues with getting PXE boot to work. After about a week of working on it, we finally got everything up and running and we were able to image machines through PXE. A few days ago, the power went out in our server room and caused a bunch of issues. Now we cannot get PXE to work. I have tried completely removing everything and starting over, but it still does not work. Here is what I have done:

-Uncheck PXE box from DP (WDS removed)

-Reboot

-Uncheck Distribute for PXE in x86 and x64 boot images

-Install WDS (no additional setup)

-Check PXE box in DP and check "Allow distribution to rspond" and "Enable unknown support"

-Check Distribute for PXE in x86 and x64.

I also noticed that the files that should be in SMSBOOT\x64 and \x86 were not there, so I copied them from the BOOT folder.

When I boot up into PXE, it finds the server and the WDSNBP file, but gets stuck at Contacting Server: [sccm2012 server]........

In the event log, it says:

failed to copy E:\RemoteInstall\SMSTempBootFiles\OKE00004\WINDOWS\Boot\EFI\bootmgfw.efi to E:\RemoteInstall\SMSBoot\x64\bootmgfw.efi

InstallBootFilesForImage failed. 0x80070003

Warning: Failed to copy the needed boot binaries from the boot image E:\RemoteInstall\SMSImages\OKE00004\boot.OKE00004.wim

Failed adding image E:\RemoteInstall\SMSImages\OKE00004\boot.OKE00004.wim. Will retry. The system cannot find the path specified.

There is also a long list of warnings that keep saying:

Warning: Matching Processor Architecture Boot Image (6) not found

I have confirmed that the E:\RemoteInsall\SMSImages\OKE00004.wim file exists.

Think it is a bad idea just to copy the files over....once PXE is enabled on the DP the files should automatically populate the SMSBoot x86 and x64 directories........By not doing this then there is a problem.....

There is no need to uncheck the boot.wims from running from pxe service point when trying to reinstall as I have mine checked and distributed out to DPs and whenever the PXE is enabled on the DPs it automatically populates.

Remove the PXE again and make sure that the new directories are also removed from the RemoteInstall folder...if not then you definitely have a connection problem from site server to DP.

If it does remove the directories restart the DP, delete the Remoteinstall folder and install WDS manually from server roles but do not configure anything....restart DP again then enable THE PXE again on the DP.......see what happens this time

It is stuck on contacting server because really the DP knows that they are not there as it has not been recorded through IIS. You have manually copied them there which does not work.

By the way i am assuming this a remote DP that you are having problems with??