Andersson

Exchange Server 2013 Preview - Part 3: Configure site URL's, Databases and Outlook Anywhere

Question

I suppose you already have, but if you haven’t read my previous parts in this Exchange 2013 serie, have a look at the links below.

Part 1: Complete guide of how to perform the installation

Part 2: How to do the Basic configuration

This part will include details on how the configuration could be made for Site URL’s/Virtual Directories, Databases, Outlook Anywhere and MAPI vs RPC over HTTPs together with connecting using Outlook 2013.

In the previous part we did install the certificate which included the following names, so we can use these names in the site configuration. (If using HTTPS, the configured name needs to be included into the certificate.)

• mail.testlabs.se
  • autodiscover.testlabs.se
  • tlcas01
  • tlcas01.testlabs.se

Sites / URL’s

Let’s go through the steps for configuring the sites with the ExternalURL and other settings.

I’ll go through both the EAC and the PowerShell, so you have the opportunity to select which method you prefer.

Let’s start..

In EAC: Go to Servers, select Virtual Directories.

image_thumb87.png

Select the server in the menu and which type you want to show. Then press Edit.

image_thumb88.png

Let’s start with Autodiscover.

image_thumb89.png

By default, Integrated Windows Authentication and Basic authentication is enabled. Press Save.

image_thumb90.png

Next, select Exchange ActiveSync (EAS). Press Edit.

image_thumb91.png

General settings shows the URL’s, I did type in the ExternalURL like the pic below. Press Authentication.

image_thumb92.png

Make sure that Basic authentication is enabled. Press Save.

image_thumb93.png

Next, select ECP. Press Edit.

image_thumb94.png

General settings shows the URL’s, I did type in the ExternalURL like the pic below. Press Authentication.

image_thumb95.png

Authentication default settings is “Use forms-based authentication” enabled. Press Save.

image_thumb96.png

A warning, make sure to change all virtual directions. Press OK.

image_thumb97.png

Next, select EWS. Press Edit.

image_thumb98.png

image_thumb99.png

Authentication settings, Integrated Windows authentication is enabled by default. Press Save.

image_thumb100.png

Next, select OAB. Press Edit.

image_thumb101.png

I did type in the ExternalURL in this setting, the InternalURL was already configured. I did also change the Polling interval from 480 minutes to 60. For having a faster update of the OAB. Press Save.

image_thumb102.png

Next, select OWA. Press Edit.

image_thumb103.png

image_thumb104.png

Forms-based authentication is selected, I did select the Logon format: User name only and did select my domain by the browsing button. Press Features.

image_thumb105.png

Showing the default settings. Press File Access.

image_thumb106.png

Showing the default settings. Press Save.

image_thumb107.png

Next, select PowerShell. Press Edit.

image_thumb108.png

image_thumb109.png

Both Integrated Windows authentication and Basic authentication was selected by default. Press Save.

image_thumb110.png

Using PowerShell

Start the Exchange Management Shell (EMS) and the following commands will do the same work that’s done in EAC.

Autodiscover:

Get-ClientAccessServer | fl *uri*

Set-ClientAccessServer –Identity TLCAS01 –AutoDiscoverServiceInternalUri https://autodiscover...utodiscover.xml

image_thumb125.png

Exchange ActiveSync (EAS):

Get-ActiveSyncVirtualDirectory | fl *url*, ide*

Set-ActiveSyncVirtualDirectory –Identity “TLCAS01\Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync (Default Web Site)” –ExternalUrl https://mail.testlab...rver-ActiveSync

image_thumb126.png

Exchange Control Panel (ECP):

Get-EcpVirtualDirectory | fl *url*, ide*

Set-EcpVirtualDirectory –Identity “TLCAS01\ecp (Default Web Site)” –ExternalUrl https://mail.testlabs.se/ecp

image_thumb127.png

Exchange Web Services (EWS):

Get-WebServicesVirtualDirectory | fl *url*, ide*

Set-WebServicesVirtualDirectory –Identity “TLCAS01\EWS (Default Web Site)” –ExternalUrl https://mail.testlab...S/Exchange.asmx

image_thumb128.png

Offline Address Book (OAB):

Get-OabVirtualDirectory | fl *url*, ide*,pol*

Set-OabVirtualDirectory –Identity “TLCAS01\OAB (Default Web Site)” –ExternalUrl https://mail.testlabs.se/OAB –PollInterval 60

image_thumb129.png

Outlook Web App (OWA):

Get-OwaVirtualDirectory | fl *url*, ide*

Set-OwaVirtualDirectory –Identity “TLCAS01\OWA (Default Web Site)” –ExternalUrl https://mail.testlabs.se/OWA

image_thumb130.png

PowerShell:

Get-PowerShellVirtualDirectory | fl *url*, ide*

Set-PowerShellVirtualDirectory –Identity “TLCAS01\PowerShell (Default Web Site)” –ExternalUrl https://mail.testlabs.se/powershell

image_thumb131.png

Databases

Let’s go through the steps that’s required for renaming the default database, dismount and mount. Also creating new databases. Let’s start with the EAC and then do it in PowerShell.

Let’s start..

In EAC: Go to Servers, select Databases.

Select the default database, named “Mailbox Database 0883045..”. Press Edit.

image_thumb111.png

General settings is shown. Press Cancel.

image_thumb112.png

Select the database, Dismount it by pressing the … icon and press Dismount database.

image_thumb113.png

It does show a warning, that mailboxes being on this database now will be unavailable. Press Yes.

image_thumb114.png

Select the database. Press Edit.

image_thumb115.png

Give the database a friendly name, example: DB01. Press Maintenance.

image_thumb116.png

Maintenance settings is shown. Press Limits.

image_thumb117.png

Mailbox limits are shown, these are the default values. Press Client Settings.

image_thumb118.png

By default, no Offline address book was selected. Press Browse and make sure to select the address book. Press Save.

image_thumb119.png

What about if you want to create a new database?

Let’s start in EAC

Press the Add button (+).

image_thumb120.png

Give the database a friendly name, example: DB02. Browse for a mailbox server. And also put in the database path and log path. Press Save.

image_thumb121.png

During the creating of the database, there is not option for associate the database with the offline address book. When the database is created, press Edit. Then go to Client Settings and select the Offline address book.

image_thumb122.png

Using PowerShell

Start the Exchange Management Shell (EMS) and the following commands will do the same work that’s done in EAC.

Retrieve database information

Get-MailboxDatabase

Get-MailboxDatabase | fl name,*path*

Dismount Database

Dismount-Database –Identity DB01

After the default database is renamed to DB01, I want to move the database file and the logs to another drive. It’s done by the commands below:

Move-DatbasePath –identity DB01 –EdbFilePath “E:\Database\DB01\DB01.edb” –LogFolderPath “F:\Logs\DB01”

Mount-Database DB01

image_thumb132.png

Get-OfflineAddressBook

For creating a new database (DB02), we have the opportunity in PowerShell to specify all parameters that’s needed for having all options configured.

New-MailboxDatabase -Name DB02 -EdbFilePath “E:\Database\DB02\DB02.edb” -LogFolderPath “F:\Logs

\DB02″ -OfflineAddressBook “\Default Offline Address Book” -Server TLMB01

Mount-Database DB02

image_thumb133.png

Note that the OfflineAddressBook is specified during the creation of the database.

Outlook Anywhere

Configuration of the feature Outlook Anywhere can also be done from both the EAC and EMS, in various ways.

Let’s start with the EAC:

Go to the servers menu, and select Servers. Press Edit.

image_thumb123.png

Then go to the “Outlook Anywhere” option, type in the external name, example: mail.testlabs.se.

I’m using Basic authentication for Outlook Anywhere. Press Save.

image_thumb124.png

And the Configuration is completed.

Using PowerShell

Enable Outlook Anywhere:

Enable-OutlookAnywhere –Server TLCAS01 –ExternalHostname mail.testlabs.se –InternalHostname tlcas01.testlabs.se –ExternalClientAuthenticationMethod Basic –InternalClientAuthenticationMethod Ntlm –IISAuthentication Ntlm –SSLOffloading:$false

Get-OutlookAnywhere –Server TLCAS01

image_thumb134.png

MAPI and RPC

The MAPI/RPC (RPC over TCP) traffic is now gone and replaced with RPC over HTTP/s instead. With that said no more load balancing of static RPC ports, as far as I know this will make both the Firewall team and the Load Balancer teams work easier, less ports is used together with the requirement of load balancing affinity/sticky session settings is also gone now. This because of there is no need anymore to have the affinity settings, it can now be load balanced based on IP addresses. Just make sure that the load balancer verifies the Exchange services before sending traffic to it.

Outlook instead will use port 443 (HTTPS) or port 80 (HTTP). I think (and hope) most of you will use RPC over HTTPS, with this said I’ll show you the new Outlook 2013 Preview/beta and how it connects and also the traffic it’s using.

Outlook 2013 Preview, connects to my mailbox in Exchange 2013. It’s using HTTPS to initiate the connection, using port 6001 by default for it’s connection, using RPC over HTTPS.

image_thumb135.png

A small picture from Network Monitor when the connection initiated by Outlook 2013.

image_thumb136.png

More information around What’s new in Exchange 2013 can be found here.

Next parts will cover Public Folders, Client Access Server Array, Database Availability Groups and more.

Thanks for reading, I hope it helped you guys/girls out there.

If you want me to cover anything special around Exchange 2013, leave a comment.

• Like 1

5 answers to this question

Thanks ramlan, it's great to see that people are reading them and like them :)

If you want me to cover anything special, just create a thread about it.

Thanks for your feedback

I installed Exchange 2013 and everything is working fine. Certificate is OK, Outlook (OSX) can connect to account and also all our phone's.

The only thing what doesn't work and drives me mad, is OutLook 2013 connecting with server.

I use More Settings> Logon security -- NTLM > Connection - Connect to microsoft exchange using HTTP > and set my url to my exchange server.

Enabled fast en slow networks and us Basic authentication.

Normally in Exchange 2010 this gives me a Windows logon dialog when i click "Check name". In this instance it does to, but never can authenticate

my credentials :-(

Any chance you know if i need to set some additional settings in exchange server admin? Maybe set some authentication props on Virtual directories?

I hope you can help and shed some light on this subject.

Thanx!

Excellent article!

Although I am having a few problems getting the Exchange server to send/receive email whether its an internal address or external. I can trace the error down to " Status: 4.3.2 451 4.7.0 Temporary server error. Please try again later. PRX2 " in the logs on my existing mailserver.

I have followed the steps up to the SSL settings as the built in certificate is ideal for my test lab environment. Would that be causing the error? If so is there a guide to create and issue the certificate myself? Do you have any suggestions as to what that error message means? Why is it only temporary as it seems quite permanent to me. This error is driving me mad!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Mykola