P@docIT

SCCM 2007 Site Server/DP

Probably a dumb question but does the site server have to have a DP role for any reason. Our SCCM environment was setup before I even knew what SCCM was. We have the management point and like 28 DPs. The package share is located on the site server and because it's a DP it also gets the packaged versions of those source files. So in an interest to rid our selves of some redundancy and regain some server space. I want to remove the DP role, however I wasn't sure if it was originally setup this way because it had to be or because the person who set it up just didn't know any better. Nothing connects to this server as a DP. Each of our 28 offices across the state (including us, central office) have there own DPs.

Also the SQL server was placed on the same server as SCCM. It seems to be causing a lot of problems. Is this common or do most connect to SQL on another box.

Thanks for any input.

Hi,

You don't have to have the DP role on the Primary site server, it is not a requirement, and in your case I would not install the DP role on the Primary Site server. It is alos best practice not to have a DP role on the Primary Site server.

I normally recommend a local SQL, it is best practice at least from a SCCM security perspective and you will get better Admin Console performance.

Regards,

Jögen

Thanks Jorgen. What would you say are minimum requirements for SCCM and SQL to be on the same server. We're currently running 2003 Ent R2 SP2. The box has 12gb of memory, but correct me if I'm wrong being a 32bit OS it can only use about 4GB of that. The first problem i notice is that the sqlservr.exe process is using almost 2GB of memory.

We hope to move to SCOM and SCCM 2012 but unfortunately i work in state gov, and things move very slowly here.

I'm going to hit google to try find some resources on the above and also some on SCCM DB cleanup. If anyone has any good resources please post a link.

Thanks.

At what size is the DB too large? We are currently around 40GB and it looks like CI_SDMPackages is around 30GB of that, unless I'm reading that wrong. Not sure what the difference between data space and index space are. My guess is data is physical drive space and index is space in the DB?

post-10749-0-85092800-1343309238_thumb.jpg

Hi,,

As you are using Windows 2003 enterprise edition, you should be able to address more of the memory than 4 GB.. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_server_2003_r2 64GB should be the limit..

40 GB is not a very big database so you should be fine on that hardware until you upgrade to SCCM 2012.

Regards,

Jörgen