edie209

No longer getting F12 prompt

Question

Title is wrong but I could not edit it

I have had SCCM 2012 deploying images really well on a couple of my site machines and also got office 2010 deploying too. But I have bought some Dell Optiplex 390's and they wouldn't boot. So I downloaded the Dell WinPE drivers and added them into a WinPE boot image from the WAIK using DSIM. I then added this boot image to SCCM and distributed it and all seemed fine. I copied my windows 7 task sequence and then renamed it and changed the boot image to my new WinPE image, and deployed the task sequence to all unknown machines.

Now machines are getting the F12 boot prompt and then go to Download WDSNBP .............Pending request 221 .......contacting server 10.0.48.1 but I just don't get any further and this is now happening to all my machines?

Any clues as to what I could done to break sccm

Did you Update Distribution Points?

Sounds like to made quite a few changes, try removing the drivers you loaded to the Boot Images and see if that works again.

Another thing you can try is, go to the properties of the boot image, then go to Images tab and use Reload. This may help, but I'm not sure.

I also have DELL machines, and I used DELL WinPE drivers, but I didn't use WAIK or any other application. I did it all via SCCM console with no issues.

Did you Update Distribution Points?

Sounds like to made quite a few changes, try removing the drivers you loaded to the Boot Images and see if that works again.

Another thing you can try is, go to the properties of the boot image, then go to Images tab and use Reload. This may help, but I'm not sure.

I also have DELL machines, and I used DELL WinPE drivers, but I didn't use WAIK or any other application. I did it all via SCCM console with no issues.

Interesting about using SCCM consol I must of missed this is there any documentation on it? And thanks for the suggestions I will try monday morning

De-tick the old boot.wim from deploying from PXE server and make sure to tick your new boot.wim to deploy from PXE server...go to administration node ....distribution point properties and content tab....redistribute from here....remove old boot.wims

delete old OSD deployment from unknown collection

restart wds service(this will flush out the old pxe advertisements)

deploy the TS again to unknown computers....see what happens

By the way you can use SCCM to inject drivers into boot.wims....by adding the drivers to the server and then selecting your boot.wim and selecting properties and then drivers tab...select the drivers you want to add and update distribution points with new version....also use binary replication if you have lots of remote DPs

Was it the Dell winPE3.0 driver pack???

This pack will boot any DELL machine bar a few models of laptops but these can be added individually!!

Rocket Man

Well that has worked for all my workstations except the Dell Optiplex 390's. They are still the same as before. They will download the boot.wim then start booting the winPE image I get the first screen "Initializing Windows" and it crashes out. I have used F8 but I am unable to find a smsts.log I presume it must be driver related But I am at a loss as to why.

After quite a bit of searching around the web I noticed the WinPE drivers pack I downloaded was A05 then I found this site http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/enterprise-client/w/wiki/2065.dell-driver-cab-files-for-enterprise-client-os-deployment.aspx and it has WinPE driver Pack A09 this has sorted out my problem and maybe will help someone else out too. :)

Good to hear....i have 390s in my enviornment also and I downloaded the winPE3.0 driver pack from DELL but i think at some stage before this I may have manually added the 390 NIC driver to the boot.wim also...not sure now though....but it boots the 390s regardless..

Just after browsing your previous link....yes this is the driver pack I also downloaded....it is supposed to boot any DELL machine but unfortunately it does not boot specific laptop models....

Rocket Man