phil@abtec.net

Change SMS Cache Size

I need to make the SMSCACHESIZE larger due to large software installations such as adobe creative suite. I have tried adding the option smscachesize=10240 to make it 10gb but when i check the cache size after deployment it is still 5120.

i have tried editing the program and putting the switch at the end of the ccmsetup.exe and also in the installation options in the Task Sequence

but both do not work

any help would be great.

Thanks

Phil

Sorry to jump on this thread, but how exactly do I set the sms chache size within a task sequence?

The task Sequence is deployed to new machines and installs windows then the client, followed by some applications however the cache is not large enough to install all of the applications.

I have set SMSCACHESIZE=10240 within the task sequence editor, under the "Setup windows and configuration manager" task. I placed this setting within the properites bo of the client package. However it doesnt seem to work and the chache is still the default size.

You could manually do it by opening up the ConfigMgr Client from the CTRL Panel on the machines...Cache tab and edit it's size there.....or as Peter said the Right click tools gives extra functionality...one been able to resize the cache remotely (once the target machines are active and switched on)

Rocket Man

But i want to install applications at windows 7 deploy at the same time, and to do this i need to set the cache before the applications are installed.

I need a way of automaticaly setting the cache size within the task sequence as windows 7 is deployed. otherwise my task sequence fails due to space requirements. If you understand.

What applications are failing?

Im not sure what you mean now.....I install all my packages at OSD time with a default TS configuration....Office2010, Adobe*3, Ie9, java, updates..VS2010, CS6 and more without having to change any size of cache!! (5120 default).

But then I am running directly from DP(using BITS) and not downloading.

Rocket Man

But then I am running directly from DP(using BITS) and not downloading.

Rocket Man

How do I set it to run directly from DP without downloading ?

Is this practical in the long term (say 30 machines at once) will it cause heavy network traffic?

Thanks.

For starters you must be running a default TS and choosing to download all content first (This is much heavier and taxing on your network..never mind the fact it takes 3 times longer for OSD to be accomplished).

Have you distributed your software and configured it to copy to a content share on DP?

At TS deploy time at the DP settings part there should be a drop down box which allows you to access content directly from DP!!

BITS will be used when choosing this which is Background Intelligent transfer System which is less taxing on the network when it comes to OSD or software deployment!

One more thing you have not by any chance specified to persist client cache when you created your software packages(not a good idea if you did for packages so large...this should only be done if the software has to run multiple times like antivirus or power management software to shut machines down etc.)..

Rocket Man

OK let me start again,

I have a task sequence that images a new machine with windows 7 x86.

anevdg.jpg

This is the software that is set to install after the OS and after the Client, these all work tested through software center ( Adobe CS3 only works when increasing the cache size beyond default even though the folder is only 1.8GB).

1yr6nq.jpg

Ok so now here is the settings i have for the client install stage:

mc9nvn.jpg

However this highlighted property does not seem to work. Any ideas? If it did work then there would be no problem.

There must be a simple way to set the cache size at install during the task sequence? or at least before the application install phase.