phil@abtec.net

Change SMS Cache Size

You can do that also with a simple powershell line.

powershell -executionpolicy bypass -command $sms=gwmi -namespace root\ccm\softmgmtagent -class cacheconfig;$sms.size = "10000";$sms.put()

This needs a restart of the ccmexec service though. So reboot the Client just after Setting the Cache size.

I love powershell! PS > Everyone needs to learn to use it. I'm using Powershell on a near daily basis now.

I have not looked into seeing what powershell cmdlets are available for config manager yet however I can say that my (non-powershell) method does not require a reboot of any kind. This is useful if you are about to deploy a large app. You can deploy the cache size change as a pre-req of the large app deployment.

by default a task sequence does not use the ccmcache folder to deploy applications - it saves the locally to an auto created folder on the root of C:\ called SMS_tasksequence (or something like that). CCM cache only comes into play with individual applications and "most" are going to be under 5GB until you get into applications like autocad or some of the Microsoft developer tools. Be sure to check the smsts.log file which will give you why something is erroring out.

• Like 1

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I have the exact same issue and I'm still unable to change cache size from within a task sequence.

I know I can do it as a package, an app, etc, etc, but I want to do it as part of a task sequence. I even read a MS Blog that says that it's supposed to work using SMSCACHESIZE=10240 in Setup Windows and ConfigMgr section, but it just doesn't work.

Has anyone been able to get this to work from a task sequence?

Thanks!!

OK let me start again,

I have a task sequence that images a new machine with windows 7 x86.

anevdg.jpg

This is the software that is set to install after the OS and after the Client, these all work tested through software center ( Adobe CS3 only works when increasing the cache size beyond default even though the folder is only 1.8GB).

1yr6nq.jpg

Ok so now here is the settings i have for the client install stage:

mc9nvn.jpg

However this highlighted property does not seem to work. Any ideas? If it did work then there would be no problem.

There must be a simple way to set the cache size at install during the task sequence? or at least before the application install phase.

I'm currently having the same issue but with a VBS script I found online that will increase the cache size. However, up until a week ago I'm receiving an Access Denied error message within the smsts.log of the client PC being imaged. From what I'm gathering, it has to do with the directory that mark6960 indicated. Mark, why would I receive an Access Denied error to that directory since I am able to deploy apps and images using my network access account? What kind of permissions does the account require to run any vbs or application in the directory located in C:\sms_tasksequence?