mkhan

Installting SCCM 2012 in a small production network

Hi

Currently I have SCE 2007 installed in my environment but I planning to have SCCM to get the ability to OS deployment, Software installation and managing Windows updates and third party non-Microsoft application patch management

I have a small network with 500 clients and three remote offices. My licence will cover me to install SCCM on one site only.

I like the step-by-step guide in using System Center 2012 Configuration Manager - Part 1. Installation - CAS http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5452-using-system-center-2012-configuration-manager-part-1-installation-cas/ but this is too large for me to chop down and find what actually i need to do.

Q.1. Do you have a step-by-step guide for installing SCCM 2012 in a small network?

Q.2. Do I have to uninstall SCE including WSUS role from current setup before I will install SCCM?

you can follow the same guide and you'll see it links to a 'standalone' server installation, that's what you require (a standalone primary, no CAS), just make sure your versions of SQL match whats listed in the Part 1. Installation guide. As regards Q2, I'm not sure i've not used it, but i would do so prior to setting this up.

Thanks for reply but some more questions,

As you have said that I just need to have a standalone primary site.

We have purchased licence for 250 clients ML, 6 System Center DataCenter and 2 System Center Standard.

I can see the hardware requirement is too high for standalone primary site. I have VMware infrastructure (VSphere5) ,

1. Will it be enough if I allocate 4 GB RAM 2 CPUs and 500 GB disk space for the primary SCCM server, if I like to install everything in one VM?

2. After installing standalone primary site, will I be able to install DP in my other sites? I have to find physical machines to install DP later.

4. Do I have to purchase a separate SQL 2008 R2 standard licence? or I will be able to use free version of SQL 2008 r2 Express?

3. How Can I make sure, Endpoint features is not activated after the installation.

1. only you will know if its enough or not, performance issues will show themselves very quickly though with 4gb ram,

2. yes you can have up to 250 dp's under one standalone primary

3. best to take that licensing question with your local Microsoft technical account manager

4. as long as you don't enable the Endpoint Protection role or configure it, then nothing will happen as regards Endpoint Protection

I have a lab environment, that has 1 Primary SCCM and 20 client's and the SCCM-server eats 5,23GB now and it's freshly restarted, it did eat 6-7GB before i restarted it.

I guess it depends on how many roles you install to your CM server, i have 12 now. My production SCCM will have 13 roles, and 2500 clients, i will start with 12GB ram on that.