lindevang

Very low download speed in Software Center

Hi guys. Hope you can help me again :)

My Setup

Very simple: One Primary Site server named server132 that is also my Distribution Point in the site BAL. The client is called test01.

The Problem

Downloading software packages in Software Center on clients is very very very slow. 1 GB of data can take over a two hours.

What I’ve tried

OS deployment goes pretty fast, so I assume that network speed isn’t the problem. I can download the same files directly from the share in no time.

The firewall is disabled on both Distribution Point and client - didn’t work.

I’ve looked in DataTransferService log on the client but I couldn’t see any errors or warnings.

I don’t know how the client establishes the connection to the DP, but while downloading a software packages the computer is constantly establishing and closing connections to the DP on a consecutive port number. Is this normal?

post-16830-0-55421500-1343998888_thumb.png

Please help me guys :)

Just a thought....maybe your clients caches are bunged up.....Try deleting the client cache before deployment of software...this can be achieved by going to the agent in CTRL panel and deleting the cache from there or directly going to the ccmsetup folder in windows and deleting the contents from ccmcache.

If it is and you have persisted the client cache with advertisements for whatever reasons and you do not want to delete the cacahe then simply expand it by the agent in the CTRL panel.

I was going to say it was BITS but if OSD is fine then more than likely not, depending if you are running from DP or downloading content locally first??

Also if it is windows 7 turn of UAC from the control panel/Action center...this can cause serious issues when using SCCM to deploy software, could be this that is causing the slow download!!

Rocket Man

Hi Rocket Man

I've tried deleting the CCMcache = no result

If I set the software packages to be installed during the OSD the download speed is as expected. It seems to only download slow through Software Center.

I've tried turning off UAC but that didn't help.

Is it normal for Software Center to constantly open and close sessions to the Distribution Point?

It opens sessions every hour by default as this is the time the client poles site server by default settings.

if it is trying to install software sporadically then there must be a deployment of software advertised that is not getting installed.

check the deployments node to see if there are any undated deployments or unsucsessful ones.....i would suggest removing all deployments and start fresh with a new deployment, make sure to have it distributed to DP first then deploy.

In your OSD deployment are you specifying to download all content first or run from DP?

are you doing the same procedure with program deployment.

Some programs can be only installed via download and not run directly from DP.....i have experienced this before and it will just sit there all day becuase it has to be downloaded.

Rocket Man

Hi Rocket Man

It's opening and closing sessions about two times in a second :wacko: But only when i try to download software through Software Center.

When deploying I can't see any errors in the deployment status:

post-16830-0-99118300-1344265490_thumb.jpg

Where do I see if my OSD is running directly from the DP or locally - can't find it :rolleyes:

The software package is configured as followed:

post-16830-0-92458500-1344265388_thumb.jpg

post-16830-0-61688700-1344265395_thumb.jpg

post-16830-0-78187500-1344265400_thumb.jpg

Have you enable the DP for Prestaging???

I see you have changed the default value in the last snippet from manaully copy to automatically download content.

This may be your problem with this package.......and others if they are configured the same

With this configuration the DP is waiting for prestage packages and will automatically try to copy them to it constantly.......if you do not need prestaging I suggest you change it back to default.......Prestaging is enabled via DP properties...maybe you selected by accident??

To your question........you specify whether to download content locally or run from DP during the deployment of any program or TS....I think it's at the last configuration wizard page there should be a drop down list....only if you have specified to copy the content to a share on a DP...which you have....so you should get this choice.........do you get this choice????

Rocket Man

Prestaging isn't enabled on my DP.

I've changed from software package from "automatically download content" to "manually copy the content". It didn't help.

I've tried playing with the deployment options and actually got it working (sort of). Instead of downloading the package locally I changed the package to run directly from the DP.

post-16830-0-14479700-1344337628_thumb.jpg

But I would perfer that Software Center download the package and then install it.

Any clue?

Can I ask you why you would prefer to download...takes twice as long

BITS are to be used for a reason.....I stream as much as I can possible as it takes alot less time to install OS or programs.

Have you checked logs, like PKGMGR and DISTRMGR to see if there are any clues there?

Hi Guys ,

BITS Related issue for sure

Also getting the same problem , I cant find where we can disable BITS for software deployment .

I know we can change the BITS Settings in the Client settings parametters .

Cant we do this only for a 1 time package deployment and not for the whole clients ?

Thanks