LespaulFender

Issue with Distribution Points taking a long time to Manage & Update

I just set off my manage Distribution points for my newly created Captured image. I loaded and put it in to the Operating System Images. Is it normal to take down the rest of my PXE Booting ability till that is done? I have noticed this is the current case. I also can do no work in SCCM since it is slow\locked right now.

How often do I need to update Distribution Points? What dictates this and why?

My environment is existing but I am only a week in. The person that created it is no longer with us and was the SCCM expert, so I am learn on the fly. School starts for us in 3 weeks and I have to have these images up and tested by Aug 8th. I can go through the process I do if any one would like to review to see if I am missing anything or if there is a better way.

Cheers,

Les

Is it SCCM 2012... if so there is content validation funtionality that can be scheduled on DPs.

Can you please reiterate as to what you are trying to do....I am a bit lost as to what it is you are trying to achieve??

No It is SCCM 2007. I think i may know what caused the issue. I had made the advetisement before the I had distributed it. Do think that that could be the issue. That some one clicked on the advertisement as it was uploading to the distribution points.

Could be the reason alright.......I did some testing on this scenario on a remote DP

I created a software update package for Office 2010 and deployed it to a test collection with a VM in it on a remote DP which has a pretty poor WAN link.

When the dead line reached for install.....the updates just sat there spinning trying to download for ages(2-3hrs) and no sign of them installing.(due to them having to come acroos the WAN link and not from DP)

I turned the VM off and distributed the update package to the DP. switched the VM back on and when the client became active and poled the site server it only took approx 5-10 mins to install 40-50 Office updates.....Achievement :D :D :D

So i guess you could be right......hope it works for you

Rocket man