configur3d

Windows 7 image created - sort of

Question

Ok we just ordered a bunch of PC and I wanted to create a new image for those PCs. They are Windows 7 professional 32 bit machines. I logged in and uninstall all the bloatware. Install the print drivers and other programs I want. Basically I setup my profile.

**Note: I'm doing this under the local administrator profile. I've deleted the first profile Windows created for me in the initial setup process.**

I've also included the URLs we use at work and deleted all the links that the PC ships with. I have created the unattended.xml file using the CopyProfile set to true. All these things I've done in past no problem. Here is my problem. After I sysprep the machine and capture the image and apply the image to another PC, it shows the profile that I created but it also includes those links the PC ships with. You know, the microsoft websites and all the other links I deleted when I created my image. They magically came back. How? Why?

2 answers to this question

So, I think I may have stumbled upon something that I had overlooked before. Turns out that when I go to sysprep the machine I put in Audit Mode. It then allows me to tweak the profile further before actually copying the profile to the default profile. The strange thing is that it seems that when it is in Audit Mode it merges the existing default profile with my administrator profile. All the settings were in place AND i saw those annoying link that I had deleted before. They were there with the links that I had added in the Administrator profile. So it seems as if there is a merge between the profile I'm wanting to make default user and the exisiting Default user. Anyways, I deleted the links, veified that the other settings were in place and finalized the sysprep. I'm capturing the image now. I'll you all know if it worked or not. Can anyone confirm that the profiles are being merged before the Administrator profile is wiped out?