anyweb

How can I setup and configure Failover clustering in Windows Server 2008

Question

If you havn't already installed Failover Cluster Management Features, then do so now, you'll need to install the Failover Clustering Feature and the Failover Clustering tools (from Remote Server Administration tools).

Once done you can access the Failover Cluster Management gui via Start/Administrative Tools, Failover Cluster Management

Step 1. Validate

You must login with a domain User account if you want the full functionality of the Failover Cluster Management, and if you forget you will be reminded.

domain_user_account.jpg

Login with a domain user account and start the Failover Cluster Management gui

In the Management Pane, click on Validate a Configuration

failover_gui.jpg

The validate a configuration Wizard will appear, click on Next.

validate_wizard.jpg

when the Select Servers or a cluster window appears, enter the Server name to validate or click browse and browse the network for the server

browse.jpg

select_servers_or_a_cluster.jpg

click next when ready

You will now be on the Testing Options window,

teesting_options.jpg

click on Next to let the wizard run all tests, please note that the hardware being tested must be marked as 'Certified for Windows Server 2008'.

confirmation_screen.jpg

You'll get a confirmation screen showing the options you chose, click next to run the tests...

After a while, you'll get a Failover Cluster Validation report, click View Report to view the results and Finish to continue

failover_cluster_report.jpg

the report itself is rather lengthy so worth looking through (please note I ran this test on some standard desktop/laptop/hyper V hardware so as expected SAN info was nowhere to be seen and the hardware did not meet Microsoft's recommended configuration standards...

Failover_Cluster_Validation_Report.mht

• Like 1

hi Anyweb,

Thanks for a great post.

I pretty to new to this clusters. I need a small help.

In the failover cluster console, I am not able to see the management opitons like

validate a Configuration

create a cluster

Manage a cluster

etc..

Please find the attached snapshot.

What could be the reason for this?

Thanks,

Madhu

post-15903-0-30177500-1336044074_thumb.jpg

Hi

I have to configure AlwaysOn Availability Groups and for that every node has to be a part of the WSFC. (Please correct me if i am wrong)

I was wondering if you could post about how one can set up a windows server failover cluster starting from scratch.

I tried to create WSFC, i had created three virtual machines (using VirtualBox, OS: Windows Server 2008 R2 with SP1, Installed SQL server 2012 Enterprise Edition) and installed the Faliover cluster feature. I also added the three machines to a common domain.

Now, when i tried to make the cluster, the validation part gave me a huge list of errors.

Please find the report in the attachment.

I guess there are lot of configurations which i am not able to follow. Could you please post step by step notes or instead a video demo showing how to make a WSFC?

It will be really helpful to me and some friends of mine.

Thanks

- Mohitpost-16311-0-48514500-1338902746_thumb.png