nathanvf

SCCM 2012 starter questions

I am looking to install SCCM for the first time. We currently have two domains, one is a trusted domain server that we are migrating off of. But it is what all our servers are joined to (DOMAIN-A). The other is the domain we will eventually migrate over to. All our desktop computers are on the new domain (DOMAIN-B).

My question is:

1. Do you need to have your SCCM server on the same domain as the computers you wish to manage?

2. The changes I need to make to the AD, will they have to be in the same domain as the computers I wish to manage?

2a. If not, can I make the container inside a OU that is our designated location?

3. Can one domain have two stand-along SCCM servers?

4. Why is SCCM so impossible to install? I have had to dance around trying to satisfy dependencies it should have done itself. I don't even know what it wants me to do with the SQL. I didn't have SQL installed and it won't do it for me.

1. Not necessarily. You would need to set up a trust between the domains in order to manage the client systems in <other domain>.

2. The Active Directory changes boil down to two parts: 1) the System Management container, and 2) schema updates. The schema updates are not absolutely necessary, but it makes client site assignment much easier.

3. Yes, although that would be a relatively odd configuration, especially with ConfigMgr 2012. What are you trying to achieve by having separate ConfigMgr hierarchies? With ConfigMgr 2012 role-based administration, you shouldn't need multiple hierarchies.

4. It's not impossible to install, if you understand the prerequisites. SQL server must be installed prior to installation of ConfigMgr. You should consult the Technet documentation for more information about prerequisites.

Supported Configurations for Configuration Manager: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682077

Cheers,

Trevor Sullivan

http://trevorsullivan.net

http://twitter.com/pcgeek86

"Unfortunately, Microsoft is not yet supporting SQL Server 2012 to host an SCCM 2012 site database. It may work but you would be in an unsupported configuration. So as for now, the versions of SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 R2 listed in the SCCM 2012 Supported Configuration page is what Microsoft supports."

This was written 26 April so don't know if it' supported yet. But i think (im not sure) you have to wait until SP1 for SQL 2012. And Also (i think) you will have to wait for SP1 for SCCM2012, in order to install it on Server2012.

Could some one correct me?