bsmiller

Windows PE cannot start

Question

I have followed your instructions for configuring SCCM2007 and deploying Vista to a tee but have gotten stuck right after the PXE boot with the following error:

Windows PE cannot start because the actual SYSTEMROOT directory (X:\WINDOWS) is different from the configured one (X:\$Windows.~BT\Windows). This can be configured with the peimg /targetpath command. Please consult the documentation for more details.

Press the OK button or close this message to reboot.

So, I did what it has asked me to do, but I am not 100% sure which PE I should modify.

This is a 100% new installation of SCCM 2007 (no upgrade from SMS)

I appreciate any help and have nothing but good things to say about all of the great stuff on this forum.

added info:

the boot.wim I got is from the Server 2008 DVD (sources\boot.wim)

http://www.myitforum.com/forums/m_177370/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

this was my problem.

I had DOMAIN\SMSread as the Network Access Account and did not have that account created (I had created SMSuser instead)

After I made that change - I updated all distribution points and it started working!!!!

Currently formatting C:, but at least it got that far.

THANKS FOR ALL OF THE HELP!!!! (I will be back ;) )

http://www.myitforum.com/forums/m_177370/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

this was my problem.

I had DOMAIN\SMSread as the Network Access Account and did not have that account created (I had created SMSuser instead)

After I made that change - I updated all distribution points and it started working!!!!

Currently formatting C:, but at least it got that far.

THANKS FOR ALL OF THE HELP!!!! (I will be back ;) )

thanks for the update and i'm glad it's working now

cheers

anyweb

yup

look at SMSTS.log as detailed in the link i gave you, i'll edit that post to make the LOG file name clearer

cheers

anyweb

F8 is enabled through the "Enable command support (testing Only)" checked box on the WINDOWS PE tab of the "boot-VISTA-O" properties.

I have tried VISTA & WINDOWS SERVER 2008 boot.wim from their own CDs but still having the same error as above...

No PXE I am making a bootable CD ...

I am using http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=512 to create the boot image.

Everything looks great except that the PC will not boot...

As I copied the boot.wim from each CDs to a "new folder" C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Configuration Manager\OSD\boot\i386 and renamed them as boot-VISTA-O & boot-W2K08-O does this could create issues?

Should I copy more files to the "new folder" C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Configuration Manager\OSD\boot\i386?

Thanks,

- Dom

The boot.wim was wrong as it was picked from the OS CD and not from the WAIK. After creating a new boot.wim now it is booting and I have been able to build an image... I am checking now why the capture did not create anything...

Thanks,