conco

SCCM 2012 buid computer collection based on user group membership / primary user

Question

Hello,

i try to deploy a special task sequence to a specific user group, unfortunately its not possible to deploy a task sequence to a user collection, so my question: is it possiable to build a computer collation based on primary users from a specific user security group?

8 answers to this question

I have the same question I think. I have a user collection based on user AD security group. I wanted to build a device collection based on that collection. I had a OU built with each department having a seperate OU and pcs were being moved to those. Now it is becoming to much work with pcs being moved and not being notified. I have remote sites that I can do per subnet so that part is covered. It is the main location that I am having issues with. We are in the process of breakin up floors by VLANs so soon this will not be an issue but I would like to create a device collection based on user security group. Is this possible?

Is this what you need?

This query will pull all systems that specific users from the specified user group are associated with. If it was you need you first create a new query in the monitoring...query node and then create a computer collection and import this query. This will then have the systems that these users are using and you can deploy your task sequence to.

Select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client, SMS_R_User.UniqueUserName
FROM SMS_R_System JOIN SMS_UserMachineRelationship ON SMS_R_System.Name=SMS_UserMachineRelationship.MachineResourceName JOIN SMS_R_User ON SMS_UserMachineRelationship.UniqueUserName=SMS_R_User.UniqueUserName
Where SMS_R_User.UniqueUserName in (select UniqueUserName from SMS_R_User where UserGroupName = "Domain\\UserGroup")

Thanks for the reply. I must be doing something worng. It is not working. What do you mean by this first?

create a new query in the monitoring...query node and then create a computer collection and import this query

In the monitoring window there is a query node. Select it and right-click create new query. Give the query a name to suit the appropriate user group for example. Then paste in the query from above and make sure to edit the last part i:e Domain\\UserGroup with your information. Once done you can run this query to see if this is what you are looking for. Basically it will give you the information of the system names that users within the user group specified in the query are associated with.

Then to create a computer collection with this info so that you can deploy Task sequences to, all you have to do is create a new collection and import the pre-made query!

Steps to take to achieve this:

• Right-click create new query
  • Give Query a name
  • Click on edit query statement
  • When query statement property window appears select Show Query language
  • Paste the above query in and click OK.
  • Select Next until finish.

You can then run this query by right-clicking on it and selecting the run option. If it is what you need then create a computer collection and import this query. Hope this helps!